Mortared Shower Pan - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

mortared shower pan

so i'm nearing the tile stage in a new shower... I studded out the shower and surrounding box, installed a new drain fitting (this is a remodel), poured a mortared sub foundation, installed shower liner membrane, installed vapor barrier on walls, installed cement board, then poured mortared shower pan (portland cement/sand commercially available premixed solution) but here is my problem.... I'm not an expert cement worker... the slope is correct (1/4 inch per linear foot of distance to the drain) and if you pour water on the finished floor, it does flow to the drain, however I've got some humps/dips imperfections in my floor... nothing major, but my question is this: if I tile over this, will the adhesive mix for the tile fill in the slight depressions and level it out, or could I go back with some more mortar mix and fill in the depressions to make it 100% perfect slope to the drain?

stuck and wondering,
Matt

Advertisement

iowadivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #2

mortared shower pan

Most cases for a shower floor you'll be using a smaller tile - 1"x1" or 2"x2" sheets. If this is true for you, then you'll need to smooth everything out before you install the tile as it is extremely difficult to level the tile out as you install. This is an easier process with larger tile, but with smaller tiles they tend to follow the contours of the floor.

Advertisement

RemodelGA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RemodelGA For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #3

mortared shower pan

so can I go back with a bit more mortar and add to those depressions to level it out? what is the best solution? (besides re-doing the whole thing) :-)
Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

mortared shower pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadivers View Post
so can I go back with a bit more mortar and add to those depressions to level it out? what is the best solution? (besides re-doing the whole thing) :-)
or use a cupstone on a grinder to knock off the high spots.
There is also a hand operated rub stone which will be quieter and less dusty.

Personally, I'd use the hand stone for better control of the elevation.

And use Thinset mortar, not adhesive, for the wet environment.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #5

mortared shower pan

i really just have a few depressions... not any high spots... would it be better to fill them in or use the grinder to sand down everything to their level?

Thanks for the pointer on the thinset mortar... i'm sure being a novice i'm using the wrong terminology... i'll make sure i get the right stuff!