Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

mortar shower floor DIY or NOT?

So I have my plumbing moved and all ready for a shower floor to be put in, the group that did the drain move was going to put in the shower for me but they disappeared. I contacted another tile guy who was going to do it but he's too busy with other job and lives a little far from me and keeps rescheduling! I'm getting frustrated here and watched every single video and read all those blogs about how to build a shower pan.

I'm feeling pretty confident and I think I'm pretty handy to tackle this job but not sure if I should leave this to a professional? I've been to the tile shop and picked up the floor mix. They have these goof proof pitch stuff that makes things easy. Would you guys recommend leaving this to a professional or should I go get started? As I mentioned I'm pretty handy and I believe I can do this.

Any words of advise here?

Thanks for reading.

kimbhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

I say go for it! I can't tell you how to do it but it doesn't look that hard. I'm going to tackle mine here in a week or so as well.

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #3

I did one for the first time a few years ago. It's been perfect since. Watch the videos, follow the specs. Its very rewarding when it's done.
bigcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

my biggest concern would be pitching it properly with the right slope but if I buy those pitch perfect tools it should go fairly smoothly. not sure why these pieces of plastic is so expensive!!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 590

Go for it!
You sound confident and you already know you can do it.

My project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/bunga...-build-169318/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

This may help.

http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

Keep in mind, no cuts, holes, staples, nails, or punctures of any kind in that plastic, until you are at least six inches up on the wall.

Last edited by Blondesense; 02-14-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-18-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #7

Blondesense,
Thanks. read that article few times already. very detailed. I nailed a treated 2x4 for the curb. I'll stack two more regular 2x4 for the curb. this article shows he uses metal lath for the curb and it concerns me that it might poke a hole in the liner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
This may help.

http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

Keep in mind, no cuts, holes, staples, nails, or punctures of any kind in that plastic, until you are at least six inches up on the wall.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #8

I used the lath. It worked fairly easily. once you got a base of mortar on it seemed to smooth out fairly easily.

here is a pic of my first. You can see I ran low on the liner but it never gets wet out past the edge. At least in my shower. Has been working perfectly for three years.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #9

That looks very good. nicely tiled. did you do it all by yourself? I plan to put the drain in tonight. does the lip of the drain need to be flushed with the bare concrete floor before I put the first layer or mortar?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #10

If I remember the drain screws to the subfloor. The mud gets placed around the lower part of the drain. The liner gets cut around the drain. Clamped down by the upper part. the drain threads into the lower part of the drain so you can set your height.

Make sure there aren't any burrs in the drain part that is pvc. THey will catch hair and gross stuff.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #11

Some specific questions.
1. do I use a felt paper on the concrete slab for the pre pan? or do I just use pour sand mix directly on the concrete floor?
2. I read somewhere that the thinnest part shouldn't be less than an inch thick. if that's the case, I may have issues as my drain pipe is low and I may have 1/4" max around the drain for the first layer or mortar.
3. I've seen people put 2x6 at the bottom between the studs. what's purpose does that serve?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

You first need to decide whether to build a traditional method shower or one with surface membrane. (hint, surface membrane is much better!)

I sounds to me you were thinking along the lines of traditional since no mention of surface waterproofing.

You should consider the options and get back to us here.

Jaz

Kim, you posted while I was typing, I may add more later.

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #13

by surface membrane you mean pan liner?
I do plan to use the same method as described on this site http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

Is this the traditional method? I've seen some videos where they use goof proof perfect pitch products. going to incorporate those ideas as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
You first need to decide whether to build a traditional method shower or one with surface membrane. (hint, surface membrane is much better!)

I sounds to me you were thinking along the lines of traditional since no mention of surface waterproofing.

You should consider the options and get back to us here.

Jaz

Kim, you posted while I was typing, I may add more later.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

No, pan liner, (shower pan, or shower membrane) is not surface membrane, it's the old method. Surface membrane is like the Kerdi system. The Kerdi membrane goes on the surface so the tiles are installed directly on the membrane.

With the old method the pan is 2" below the floor surface and so everything between the tiles and shower pan will get saturated from normal use. I don't think that's good. Plus there's usually no waterproofing for the walls.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #15

can you please post some information on the method you're suggesting. perhaps a DIY guide?
I'm also reading this
http://floorelf.com/how-to-create-a-shower-floor-part-1

seems pretty well put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
No, pan liner, (shower pan, or shower membrane) is not surface membrane, it's the old method. Surface membrane is like the Kerdi system. The Kerdi membrane goes on the surface so the tiles are installed directly on the membrane.

With the old method the pan is 2" below the floor surface and so everything between the tiles and shower pan will get saturated from normal use. I don't think that's good. Plus there's usually no waterproofing for the walls.

Jaz