Mortar Removal - Next Part Of The Story Pls. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

mortar removal - next part of the story pls.

Well, we've begun experimenting with removing the mortar from bricks. For those who missed the previous post, I have about a thousand bricks that I need to remove the mortar from. At 20 minutes per brick, I'm going to be doing this for a long time.

I'm using a pneumatic hammer on a Campbell Hausfeld HL4101.

Gallon Capacity: 8 Gallons

Max PSI: 125 PSI

SCFM @ 40 PSI 4.3 SCFM

SCFM @ 90 PSI 3.7 SCFM

Running HP 1.3

Voltage 120V

The problem is that this compressor won't turn off. All the while I'm working on a brick, this thing creats a real racket that keeps going until 5 minutes after I put the pneumatic hammer down.

So, the question now becomes what size/kind of compressor should I be using? My little Makita MAC700 is more powerful than the HL4101 but lacks the tank size. I look at other compressors and they're all over the place, from 1.3HP and 40 gallons up to 5HP and 20 gallons.

The pneumatic hammers are all over the place from 3 SCFM to 6 SCFM. I'm using in-line filtering/drying/lubricating and I'm running 90 psi line pressure.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Allthunbs

Advertisement

Allthunbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486

it does turn off but just takes 5min to pump back up til the pressure control disphram clicks,,, hook both compressors up to a common reservoir tank,,, pressure'll be the same but you'll have more cfm's.

20 minutes seems very long,,, are you using a 2" brick chisel & putting the bricks on a sturdy bench jig ? ? ?

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
it does turn off but just takes 5min to pump back up til the pressure control disphram clicks,,, hook both compressors up to a common reservoir tank,,, pressure'll be the same but you'll have more cfm's.

20 minutes seems very long,,, are you using a 2" brick chisel & putting the bricks on a sturdy bench jig ? ? ?
Interesting, I'll have to try that.

I'm using a 1" chisel and the bench is two saw horses with a board nailed to them. Doesn't move around or bounce so it seems fine to me. I'm going to put a fence on tomorrow and try that. Any other suggestions?

Allthunbs
Allthunbs is offline   Reply With Quote