Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

mortar removal

I have to remove mortar from several hundred bricks. The bricks are very white so acids are out of the question.

Has anyone used the Fein Multimaster with thecleaning blades
Straight, diamond-coated, for cleaning mortar flanks before rejoining?

Sorry about the quote but that's Fein's description.

Allthunbs

Allthunbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #2

mortar removal

Are you cleaning off just a residue or chunks of mortar from the sides?
When I removed the bricks from the house for the addition, I used a pneumatic hand held hammer to clean the mortar off the bricks as well as disassembling the walls. The mortar came off clean as a whistle. We cleaned off about 3500 bricks that way.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #3

mortar removal

Hi Ron:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Are you cleaning off just a residue or chunks of mortar from the sides?
I have a 15'x9' wall to take down and the brick to be used elsewhere in the house. At the moment, I've only disassembled some flour bed perimeters. There is an entire layer of mortar that must be removed - about 1/2" to 5/8" thick.

Quote:
When I removed the bricks from the house for the addition, I used a pneumatic hand held hammer to clean the mortar off the bricks as well as disassembling the walls. The mortar came off clean as a whistle. We cleaned off about 3500 bricks that way.
Ron
Can you give me a brand/model as an example of the tool you used?

Thanks for the help.

Allthunbs
Old 05-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

mortar removal

TRY THIS
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #5

mortar removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Yup, that's the tool. Mine was a different make, but the same tool.
You'll need a compressor and hose to make this work. do you have these tools?
Ron
Old 05-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #6

mortar removal

Quote:
Yup, that's the tool. Mine was a different make, but the same tool.
You'll need a compressor and hose to make this work. do you have these tools?
Ron
Hi Guys:

Ok, I don't have the pheumatic hammer like the Porter Cable in the article. The Fein Multimaster is one under consideration but it's worth experimenting with the Porter Cable first, given the cost. I don't have the Bosch but I do have two Makita hammer drills, one like the "D" handle in the article and a lighter one. Now, I've tried the "D" handle and it's useless. So, I'll try the pneumatic hammer. My compressor is a little Makita MAC700 which is a bit under powered but it's still under warranty so I'm not worried for the moment. I have it set up with dryer, filter and oiler so it should function handily.

I've gone looking for the Porter Cable pneumatic hammer and I can't find it in my regular suppliers. However, I came across this one at Canadian Tire. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...c%2BHammer.jsp

comments? Suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Allthunbs
Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #7

mortar removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthunbs View Post
Hi Guys:

Ok, I don't have the pheumatic hammer like the Porter Cable in the article. The Fein Multimaster is one under consideration but it's worth experimenting with the Porter Cable first, given the cost. I don't have the Bosch but I do have two Makita hammer drills, one like the "D" handle in the article and a lighter one. Now, I've tried the "D" handle and it's useless. So, I'll try the pneumatic hammer. My compressor is a little Makita MAC700 which is a bit under powered but it's still under warranty so I'm not worried for the moment. I have it set up with dryer, filter and oiler so it should function handily.

I've gone looking for the Porter Cable pneumatic hammer and I can't find it in my regular suppliers. However, I came across this one at Canadian Tire. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...c%2BHammer.jsp

comments? Suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Allthunbs
I used a Campell Hausfield unit for my job, but as stated before, it doesn't really matter which one you buy. I think mine was under $25.00.
Ron
Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #8

mortar removal

pneumatic or electric chipping gun - we prefer elecric w/ext cords bringing in household current,,, brick chisel, jig to hold the bricks, & nub away,,, might try the guy who's feeding the bricks use a brick hammer 1st - that should get most of it.

the other's suggestions would work but just get GOOD equipment,,, chicago pneumatic's still quality but the rest of the 'chicago' name's been bastardized by china,,, usa stuff's still the best but we also like bosch & aeg.

fein multimaster isn't a pro tool imn-s-hfo we used 'em for cutting out caulk on several jobs in the ny metro area,,, we found we needed 8 on the job just so we'd have 3 or 4 that work'd,,, thankfully their svce ctr was in fairfield, nj, on rte 46 so we could run 'em over from paterson & turnaround time was acceptablt,,, we finally went back to razor blade scrapers similar to windshield installer's stuff,,, good luck !
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Learning by Doing

mortar removal

I haven't had a problem with my Multimaster (I Heart it) but I don't see it working for the mortar removal.