Mortar Needs Replacing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
newer than a newbie...

Rewards Points: 83

mortar needs replacing

Hi there.

We are going to move into a house built in the 60's...and the house inspection generally concluded the house to be in good condition.

An exterior area though around the garage, has some mortar that has decayed and fallen off leaving the brick kind of exposed.

The 'inspector' said that there is no structural problems but it could use a mortar repair job. I would like to save some $$ because I would say that this decay is only around maybe 15-20 bricks (an area about 4' x 4'), so I want to do it myself.

Can someone advise of what materials I would need to do this job? I don't know what to look for at the big box stores and I honestly don't trust many of the employees there. This site has more experts in my opinion.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisement

mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

mortar needs replacing

Easy to fix, but you should first figure out why that specific area is damaged and fix the cause.

Then it is an easy repair. Buy regular premixed mortar, mix it to a consistancy a tad wetter than wet sand, and use a grout bag to fill the joints. Overfill them and do NOT worry out spillage on the brick. Leave it alone for an hour or so, then come back and tool the joint with a jointer or an old tablespoon. After you do that, use a soft bristle brush to remove the still soft mortar from the bricks, and after another hour or two use a wire brush to clean up any remaining mortar on the bricks (keep the wire brush out of the joint itself).

Search this forum using my name and "tuckpointing" for even more comprehensive instructions.

Advertisement

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote