Monolithic Slab Foundation Verses Crawlspace - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

monolithic slab foundation verses crawlspace

Besides the cost what are the pros and cons? I'm trying to decide which way to go. The soil is sandy and there is very little grade to the land. This is a house that my son plans to live in for the rest of his life and I am concerned about settling and durability of a concrete slab. Everyone I have talked to (licensed builders) have nothing bad to say about monolithic slabs. I have seen, cracks in slab floors, cracks in walls... Someone out there please give me some advise. Thanks......

Advertisement

Last edited by foxcar59; 10-26-2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling
foxcar59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

monolithic slab foundation verses crawlspace

I'd say an engineer is needed. Softer soils needed bigger footprints. Also, what is your frost depth? Your foundation should fall well below that, and should be well insulated; "well" depending on your climate. Both types can work, but you need numbers. Concrete will be there forever if it is supported properly. NOTHING will work on a crappy foundation. BTW: Are you going to use radiant floor heat? If a cold area, it is the best system there is (in the long run, and it really does not cost too much to install it).

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote