Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mold under floating wood floor - with photos

Hello,

About 2 1/2 weeks ago had water damage to our lower level, which had a floating wood floor over a concrete slab.

We have started to take up the wood and pad (it is unsalvageable, we are discarding it all), but there is fuzzy mold on both the bottom of the wood, and on the bottom of the pad as well (white/green/creme colored mold, as well as darker mold on the wood).

My question is, is there a safe way I can remove this myself, or do I need to contact a mold removal team to deal with this, like Servepro? We're look at probably 400sf.

I have attached some photos so you can see what the mold looks like. Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Mold under floating wood floor - with photos-imag0043-sml.jpg   Mold under floating wood floor - with photos-imag0039-sml.jpg  

rumiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Safe? Maybe, unless you are allergic to mold, which can cause your throat to swell and you to suffocate. Myself, and I don't recommend you or anyone else do this, I would ventilate like all living H (huge fans, lots of openings), get some QUALITY masks, spray lightly with 5-10% bleach and water, then take it out myself. Be slow, and be careful. I would not touch it dry. When done, I'd wash w/ soap and water, let dry, then dampen it w/ more bleach and ventilate for a long time. All that said... is the water perhaps coming from below, and your flood just happened to have you dig in and find it? It may be advisable to watch the floor for a while after you are done to see if water is wicking into it. Tape a 2' square piece of visqueen to the floor and see if it gets water under it; rough idea, anyway. A pro is sure the safest!

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 528

First off find out were the water came from and how it got there and fix that! second don't panic were gloves and dust mask bleach water and toss out all the moldy junk.

Last edited by Nailbags; 06-07-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote