If you figure out how to get rid of the source of the mold, then you'll need to take care of the smell after. Charcoal is ok, but if you really want to destroy the odor you need to get an ozone machine-it shocks the room with ozone gas ( you def shouldn't be in the same room when you're treating it) but it gets rid of the smell completely. We are a rental business and rent them out consistently to contractors.
We get some of our Rainbowair ozone generator units from http://www.ozoneexperts.com/
. They are a little pricey, but well worth it, especially if you have a refinished basement.