We recently purchased a home and renovated the whole thing besides the basement. Well once the house went up, they tore up the ceiling in the basement and of course, the subflooring is full of mold. I've also been told it's on our new wood too! We are not in the house yet, so I would like to get it remediated, but I'm afraid of all the products out there since I have 2 very small children. I've had companies say they use Zinsser - perma wash, Shockwave, Sproricidin (phenols), and Fosters 40-80 to name a few. I just don't know what is the safest to use - don't want anything that can have lasting effects or residuals. I've looked up all the MSDS sheets and there's always something to scare you in each. Plus, one company bashes the others and says their product is least toxic. Are any of you aware of these products and can you make recommendations. I do not want to have to deal with this when we move in. We need to put in our HVAC as well, but want the mold taken care of first. Also, once we have it taken care of, should we wait to put in the heat which will have to be run (forced air) - Can any of the chemicals still be around and go through the vents? Should we wait a little while before moving in?
Thanks is advance - from a very worried and concerned mom!
cleaning the mold is not much of an issue. Simply clean with 10% bleach and water. But you need to address where the moisture is coming from. It will quickly return if you do not do this. A small ventilation system in this basement will work better than dehumidifiers.