About two years ago I had an L shaped area finished in the center of my basement -sheet rock ceilings. Builder used green board for all the sheet rock work. HVAC guys ran a few returns and heat and air in the finished area. Exterior Basement walls in this 7 year old house are poured concrete. There is a closet sized unfinished room with a door that remains closed off of the finished area. 3 walls of this small room are poured concrete and the other wall with the door is sheet rock. This small room contains the breaker boxes and also has plumbing to support the washer directly above on the 1st floor as well as the outside faucet. This room is becoming moldy. The wood joists are turning green. There is a small gap above the circuit boxes that would port into the space above the finished areas ceiling space that runs wires and cables. My questions are 1. how do we clean and stop permanently this small room from growing moldy and 2. have we now introduced mold to the sheet rocked area via the small gap that exists between the two rooms and if so what do we do to neutralize ? Thanks much.
Tough to tell about the mold spreading; you may have to dig in. Any way to ventilate this room and heat it up more? You need to keep the humidity below 50 or 60%. Washing w/ 10% bleach may get the mold; if that fails, call a specialist.
Hard to tell, however as mould is everywhere given the right conditions it will grow. That said, I have a 70 year old house where the people before us where growing plants in the basement, mould on all wall coverings and the concrete walls,
Just bleach didn't kill it, needs to be scubbed, we are still killing most but I do agree the humidity needs to be low