Mold - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 275
Rewards Points: 260
Default

Mold


Hello All

Not sure if this is the right area to post. But i am trying.

I recently discovered (through a mold test of air quality), that i have an abundance of mold (penicillium aspergillus) in the basement. I say basement only because that is where the test was conducted.

how do i get rid of it? I dont see any mold on the concrete floors or walls or on the insulation or vapor barrier. Same as the other floors. it would seem to be airborne.

For the length of the summer, we did not have central air conditioning. We only got central AC installed on the 15th of July. So, we had tremendous humidity for a long while. Now, on the main floor, the humidity is closer to 45% and in the basement 57%. We also installed an Air Media filter. The filter in right now has a merv of 11.

PTMD

Advertisement

Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,774
Rewards Points: 664
Default

Mold


I would run a dehumidifier 24/7 and wash all the walls ceiling and floor.
No moisture, no mold.

Advertisement

__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 275
Rewards Points: 260
Default

Mold


Hi Joe

thank you, just the basement? or all floors?
Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Mold


http://ymlp.com/zEjpIl
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Newbie
 
sdawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Mold


When I had mold in the basement, I cleaned all the floors, ceilings and walls. Just to be sure.. It would really suck if you just do half the job, and can do it again within a month's time..
sdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012
Default

Mold


How was the air test conducted? What were the results? What was the spore count in the basement? What was it in the first floor? What was it outside? All of these must be known to make a judgement as to whether you have a problem. As info: Pennicillium and aspergillus are two different species of mold.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 275
Rewards Points: 260
Default

Mold


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
How was the air test conducted? What were the results? What was the spore count in the basement? What was it in the first floor? What was it outside? All of these must be known to make a judgement as to whether you have a problem. As info: Pennicillium and aspergillus are two different species of mold.

The air test was conducted by the home inspector (registed mold inspector for Toronto) who took a machine on top of the roof of my house for 10 minutes and sucked in the air onto what look like a sponge or dish and then repeated that in the basement by the furnace with a different dish.

The count outside had Penicillium/Aspergillus at 48 (raw count) and 320 (spores per m3). In the basement, the same mold read 2040 (raw count) and 14000 (spores per m3).

I hope this helps.
Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012
Default

Mold


Yes. That is a proper procedure, although I would also have taken a sample on the first floor as well. Since you have a very high reading in the space, there is certainly a mold problem. It may take some searching, but you'll need to be thorough to locate it. Did the mold inspector offer any advice on locating the source. One thing that can be done is to retest at several locations through the basement. If you have any air ducts, I would do a visual inside of them. Lined ducts are a prime place for mold to thrive. Mold has to be living on a moist, organic surface to produce spores, so somewhere you have a colony.... or two.....or three. MERV 11 is a pretty good efficiency for home use (higher than normal) and should be trapping a lot of the spores depending on how efficient the mounting is. Your mold inspector should have a moisture meter to check materials and surfaces. It looks like he took RH readings which is good, as long as he took them at several places.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to control Mold Part 1 Maintenance 6 How To Guides 17 11-22-2014 10:00 AM
How to - prevent basement mold crazymountain How To Guides 36 07-23-2014 07:02 PM
mold and asbestos pulper Flooring 2 09-02-2012 11:40 AM
Mold found - unsure what to do?? izzyant88 General DIY Discussions 12 06-17-2011 07:21 AM
Concrobium or White Vinegar? eis61374 Remodeling 8 11-17-2008 07:56 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts