DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Mold (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/mold-184136/)

Amitabh 07-23-2013 06:35 PM

Mold
 
Hello All

Not sure if this is the right area to post. But i am trying.

I recently discovered (through a mold test of air quality), that i have an abundance of mold (penicillium aspergillus) in the basement. I say basement only because that is where the test was conducted.

how do i get rid of it? I dont see any mold on the concrete floors or walls or on the insulation or vapor barrier. Same as the other floors. it would seem to be airborne.

For the length of the summer, we did not have central air conditioning. We only got central AC installed on the 15th of July. So, we had tremendous humidity for a long while. Now, on the main floor, the humidity is closer to 45% and in the basement 57%. We also installed an Air Media filter. The filter in right now has a merv of 11.

PTMD

joecaption 07-23-2013 07:10 PM

I would run a dehumidifier 24/7 and wash all the walls ceiling and floor.
No moisture, no mold.

Amitabh 07-23-2013 07:16 PM

Hi Joe

thank you, just the basement? or all floors?

creeper 07-24-2013 07:03 AM

http://ymlp.com/zEjpIl

sdawson 07-24-2013 07:38 AM

When I had mold in the basement, I cleaned all the floors, ceilings and walls. Just to be sure.. It would really suck if you just do half the job, and can do it again within a month's time..

Maintenance 6 07-24-2013 03:29 PM

How was the air test conducted? What were the results? What was the spore count in the basement? What was it in the first floor? What was it outside? All of these must be known to make a judgement as to whether you have a problem. As info: Pennicillium and aspergillus are two different species of mold.

Amitabh 07-24-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 (Post 1220421)
How was the air test conducted? What were the results? What was the spore count in the basement? What was it in the first floor? What was it outside? All of these must be known to make a judgement as to whether you have a problem. As info: Pennicillium and aspergillus are two different species of mold.


The air test was conducted by the home inspector (registed mold inspector for Toronto) who took a machine on top of the roof of my house for 10 minutes and sucked in the air onto what look like a sponge or dish and then repeated that in the basement by the furnace with a different dish.

The count outside had Penicillium/Aspergillus at 48 (raw count) and 320 (spores per m3). In the basement, the same mold read 2040 (raw count) and 14000 (spores per m3).

I hope this helps.

Maintenance 6 07-25-2013 08:53 AM

Yes. That is a proper procedure, although I would also have taken a sample on the first floor as well. Since you have a very high reading in the space, there is certainly a mold problem. It may take some searching, but you'll need to be thorough to locate it. Did the mold inspector offer any advice on locating the source. One thing that can be done is to retest at several locations through the basement. If you have any air ducts, I would do a visual inside of them. Lined ducts are a prime place for mold to thrive. Mold has to be living on a moist, organic surface to produce spores, so somewhere you have a colony.... or two.....or three. MERV 11 is a pretty good efficiency for home use (higher than normal) and should be trapping a lot of the spores depending on how efficient the mounting is. Your mold inspector should have a moisture meter to check materials and surfaces. It looks like he took RH readings which is good, as long as he took them at several places.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved