Mold - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

mold

In spite of the fact that I had a dry basement system installed at great cost and was promised I would never ever experience another flood--my basement has flooded four times since installation. Once it hit the high point of 4ft. I was oblivious to the mold consequences these events would pose, and did not bring this to the attention of my insurance people. Mold invaded most all rooms.
Most are under control now but two interior rooms on the 1st floor are still producing mold.
The east room gets it on the trim and the east room gets it also on the trim and all around the ceiling edges. It's getting pretty black. I live in Conn. We have a high water table and well it's been a very wet summer to say the least. I'm about to start attacking the problem and would appreciate suggestions.
P.S. I kept window fans in these rooms going all summer. Also rest of house.

Advertisement

Last edited by helroman; 10-02-2011 at 10:43 PM.
helroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

mold

Have you cleaned up the mold and treated it with a fungicide? Have you used a moisture meter to determine if things are still damp? Step 1 is to get the moisture under control. The mold will continue to reappear regardless of any clean up effort, if you don't get the humidity below 60% or the water content of the affected materials below .6. When you have done that, then tear out the moldy materials and toss them. After going this long in a high moisture condition, the materials are so infiltrated, that they are beyond salvaging.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

mold

Not really knowing more than what you have already posted, I submit that you might have bitten off more than you can chew, and that mould DIY is a real no-win situation that, more often than not, has health implications that no-one would wish on anybody...

I am sure you know that there is a whole industry out there called 'water damage remediation' that connects homeowners with this sort of damage to effective remediation (including mould eradication) via the insurance companies. And it exists for good cause; because there is no "DIY" about it. The techniques of remediation - that is full control of mould within the timelimits we have for its growth - involve much more than an even better than average DIYer can handle.

You say you didn't bring this to the attention of your insurance company; that right there might have been your biggest mistake but I am not going to pry. My experience with insurance companies in this sort of situation is nothing short of amazing, as every one I have dealt with has only one thing on their mind when advised of such a loss: dealing with the immediate problem of fixing things. Let paperwork and costs and jurisdictions and premiums be damned: let's fix the problem quickly and correctly - then we'll deal with the details. So they turn to certified professionals who are on call 24hrs a day to deal with just such emergencies...

Because they are 'emergencies', much like a fire is. Just as destructive. And no place for amateurs...

You need a ton of advice; for example, fans may not be a good idea in your situation. Under certain conditions, they may indeed worsen the mould issue. But that depends on a number of other issues far more involved than I care to go into over the internet. You might think you have mould under control - but how do you know that, from what do you make that inference? Moulds are something you only see the tip of the iceberg on, most of the stuff is where you can't see.

4'-deep water flood, eh? Well then, you have a mountain of a task ahead of you to get that situation back to normal, if indeed 'normal' can be regained. I fear you might have left it too long if - as you describe - it has reached the 1st floor etc, because that says something horrific. At this stage, you'll need even more expertise on mould remediation - how to get rid of it everywhere, how to make sure it doesn't spread, and what to keep and what to discard - than anyone can give you in a bb thread even someone in the business.

Sorry. I really hope you can discuss this with an insurance adjuster to see what can be done.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote