Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

moist soil under raised foundation during winter

I have a house built in the mid 70s on a raised foundation. During the rainy season I have found that the soil under the house is quite moist. The house in built on a hill with a rise of about 3 feet x 20 feet run. I have garden steps, brick over sand, that run down the side of the house to the lower level. Soil is back filled next to the foundation. During rains a lot of water flows down the steps and side of the house from my driveway. I believe this is the main cause of the water pressure pushing under the foundation.

Question, can this be fixed by pouring a concrete trough as a drain and slab steps next to the foundation, using a asphalt fiberboard spacer between the foundation and the cement trough. The water would be directed to a drain at the lower level. On the other side of the concrete steps I would placing a French drain. Would a french drain be needed next to the foundation as well or could that cause foundation damage?

What would be a better solution?

Tx,

Brent

bn300 is offline   Reply With Quote