Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #1

Share |

modular, subcontracting site work

We are thinking of going modular, but want to contract out all the site work, ,just how complicated would that be? I'm talking foundation, well, septic, road into property, electric etc.....

Last edited by Martoon; 03-06-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Martoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

If you contract out the work, you are effectively acting as the general contractor. This is perfectly doable if you are comfortable acting as general contractor. You prepare the plans, get the permits, draw up the contracts, prepare the bid packages, evaluate the bids, select the subcontractor, and make sure they do their job correctly and on time. Nothing to it.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
If you contract out the work, you are effectively acting as the general contractor. This is perfectly doable if you are comfortable acting as general contractor. You prepare the plans, get the permits, draw up the contracts, prepare the bid packages, evaluate the bids, select the subcontractor, and make sure they do their job correctly and on time. Nothing to it.
These are the points (specifically - "Make sure they do their job correctly"), that I feel GC-ing is not for "all" of the average home owners.

I am not saying that it is completely beyond any HO's ability. I have done work for some very intelligent, sharp, organized, detail-oriented home owners, with exceptional communication skills and a very good grasp (comprehension) on how things come together. Their chosen secular field ususally mirrored their natural talents and abilities.

On the other hand - How does "Joe", or "Jane Average Home Owner" know what aspects of a job phase are correct, not correct, or not completed for the next sub that has to come in and work (...etc) = ?

Example: I was performing a large renovation for a sports company's corporate offices about 7 years ago. The drywall guy (sub) tells me that the way I want the work done, and how he would then need to do it, would take him more time and cost me more money. I looked him dead in the eye and told him I started out in the industry doing drywall. What you have to do WILL NOT take any more time or effort - as I know that for a fact. If needed, I will show you myself. If you disagree, get off the job and I will find another guy who knows how to do drywall correctly.......He uttered a nervous laugh and went ahead starting the work and finishing it the way he was supposed to, at the price he was supposed to do it for.

Also, in just about every Home Owner GC project I have seen - the overall work takes years to complete, as they figure things out, and attempt to circumvent problems that develop = Construction and the industry in general are plagued by "Murphy's Law". Things do go wrong all the time, including design plan errors and missing information. We just finished up a residential project that was designed by an Engineering & Architectural Company. The foundation (on helical piers) involved a steel engineering company to do the work, and the problems and issues abounded (in addition to working against frost timing). I guarentee (sp) that the average HO would not have been able to figure out, correct, and keep things moving - that we had to do.

Hire a Qualified, Experienced, and Professional GC - and they will take on all the headaches and problem solving, including making sure that subs show up and finish when they are supposed to = and the job will be done quickly, neatly, efficiently and in "months", not "years".
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martoon
We are thinking of going modular, but want to contract out all the site work, ,just how complicated would that be? I'm talking foundation, well, septic, road into property, electric etc.....
If you have never done it before....its going to be very complicated. No one can tell you how complicated. You will obviously need help from experienced people and have to be there like its a full time job. You can't just sub all the jobs out and expect the subs to communicate with each other and run the job.

This is the biggest problem when homeowners act as their own GC. They expect the subs to run the job and don't think they have to be on the jobsite all the time.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Modulars are also not all clear cut and dry (NOT just a bunch of boxes that go together seamlessly).

There is pre-framing (Foundation Sill, kneewalls, etc.) that have to be done, including additional framing to tie all of it together.

The modular company may have a set-crew that works with the crane operator, however, there is still more work after all that.

The guys that come in to do that additional work, are usually dependant on the GC to tell them what they them what to do & how to do it.

I mention this as I have no idea if you are considering working with a Modular Manufacturer who delivers and sets the boxes on the foundation and then leaves the rest to the Owner, or, a company that performes ALL of the work, including the complete finishing of the modular after it is delivered and set-up.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote