Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #1

Share |

Modifying the PVC piping on the existing radon mitigation system

I am planning on building a small home theater in my basement this early spring. Nothing major, just putting up a wall, applying sound proofing to the existing walls, laying carpet tiles and possible closing up the ceiling some.

The house that I have came with a radon system (active). the house was built in '46 so it is a little older, but the basement is very dry (proper grading).

The problem is that PVC piping for the system runs through the would-be room, and I would like to elbow it up inside the rafters so it is out of the way (currently about 2" below).

I am comfortable working with the PVC, but am wondering if this piping is "radioactively hot" and should be touched by me. It was intalled about 10 years ago. I am not looking to completely change, just raise the run about 4 inches.

bjmarchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #2

Disclaimer: Touching the pipe will kill you. That said, I would not hesitate to do whatever is necessary with those pipes. Unless your radon level is off the charts (and it may be worth checking on that), I don't see how you are in any more danger than living there w/ the inevitable radon that is not getting into your pipes. I take it that "active" means you have a fan inline? If so, has anyone ever checked to see if it is developing the necessary negative pressure for your area?

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Disclaimer: Touching the pipe will kill you. ..... I take it that "active" means you have a fan inline? If so, has anyone ever checked to see if it is developing the necessary negative pressure for your area?
I assume you are kidding about it killing me... I hope. I was thinking of getting a geiger counting if this is the case. Also would like to check my granite countertops.

It is an active system with the inline fan. The home instpector checked it out and it is working. When you turn it off, the pressure tube thing moves. He said I should probably get it replaced in about 5 years and to check it once every quarter. Also, I had a radon test done and it can up low at .4 whatever the ending is. I ordered a self test off amazon to retest to just make sure the previous owner didn't mess around and open the windows while it was running.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #4

It is amazing all the stuff that I am learning quickly being a new home owner. For example, they guy has mulch beds along the house. I had them growing up but never realized they attract termites (had that check too and it is ok). I am going to replace it with redstone in the spring just to be sure plus I won't have to keep remulching it every year.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #5

Radon is not something you want to breathe daily, so I would never tell anyone it is harmless publicly and risk getting my buns sued by the surviving spouse/partner/dog/whoever. Me, I'd move the pipe in a heartbeat and not give it a second thought. As for the mulch, I suspect there are a variety of things living in it that could nail you. Carpenter ants eat cellulose, so if twigs and other cellulitic (which I just made up) objects are in the mulch, then keep it well away from the house. I believe people use copper shields around their foundations to keep termites out. We don't have them, but I think I've seen that. By all means, kill those suckers (radon works real well) or keep the termites at your neighbor's house; pick one you don't like.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote