Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #1

Share |

Modify concrete stairs to two-step width.

Our front entrance is comprised of 10 concrete steps with a rise of 7" and a tread of 11.5" and a width of 113". I want to convert the lowest two steps to a wider platform style. Is there a standard tread size for taking two human steps? I was thinking of 2' tread so that a person would take two short steps, but I'm sure there must be a standard out there somewhere. I suspect that I'm a little short on my estimation.

Also wondering if it possible to add concrete to an existing set of concrete stairs without tearing out the existing. Our stairs contain a storage room accessible via the basement which we do not want to disrupt. The stairs were built in 1968, appear solid and have no discernible cracks or settling. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Modify concrete stairs to two-step width.-stairs.jpg  

akimbo is offline   Reply With Quote