DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Modified post and beam framing question?

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  diywengr 
#1 ·
Hello, new here, seems like a great forum. I'm constructing a large (46 x 22) carport in a modified post and beam fashion. All posts will be 6" x 6" pressure treated. All perimeter beams will be Glam LVL, spec buy the vendor. they will carry a stick built hip roof. 4 in 12 slope with asphalt shingles. At grade, the posts will be connected to concrete pillings with mechanical connectors. The beams will attach to the post tops with post caps from Simpson StrongTie. There will not be solid walls. The problem is there is no lateral suport. Both the post caps that the beams ride in, and the metal post bases the connect them to the pillings are not intended to provide lateral support. I can not seem to find any that are. I feel the most elegant way is to add 45 degree angle bracing, ( say 4" x 4") between each post and beam. I cannot find any metal connectors that will enable this. Are they available anywhere? Any info about such connectors, or any other ideas for lateral support in modified post and beam construction would be much appreciated. Thanks greg

#5 ·
I assume you designed your own structure, else the critical detail of supplying lateral resistance would have been included in the design by the engineer of record. A kit built structure would also have addressed the lateral bracing issue.

Since you need a permit, and are apparently using your own design, I suggest you consult with a local structural engineer or architect about the best code compliant technique. Perhaps the building inspector would be willing to discuss with you, however my experience is that the inspector probably wants to see a stamped plan, and simply wants to make sure you build according to plan.

Span tables are generally designed for conventional framing, and from your description you are beyond conventional framing, therefore I am surprised the inspector is comparing your framing to span tables.

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply Mr. Holzman. You are correct in that it will be my own design. I have been in the process of trying to find a local structural engineer who might have some input. No luck so far, only offers to draw full stamped plans at considerable cost.

#7 ·
There are many details you are probably over-looking. The post caps should be called out on the plans to be reviewed by your LOCAL Inspector: http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/CC-ECC-ECCU.asp

“will be Glam LVL,” ---- either a glu-lam or an LVL, not one in the same. The LVL HAS to be wrapped for an exterior application, you may want to research more……

“No luck so far, only offers to draw full stamped plans at considerable cost.” ----- Because someone besides you will be liable and responsible for the structure. The whole structure, not just 1/50th of the total project. Your H.O. Insurance will want to see a permit and Engineer approved plans.

Be safe, Gary

#8 ·
Hello Gary. Thanks for the reply. The beams are LVL. I do know they must be wrapped for my application. I have been holding off on deciding the best wrapping scheme until I devise the best way to frame this. The post caps you have linked here, Simpson CC and ECC versions, are the exact types I have been planning on using. Simpson tells me however that they have no data concerning lateral loads. I'll have 14 of these post caps in a 22" x 46" structure. I do wonder why they do not make some mechanical fasteners designed to facilitate diagonal bracing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.