Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #1

Share |

model house question

I've drawn the blueprints and now am attempting to make my dream house in 1/4" scale. I've gotten most standard measurements from surfing different home improvement sites (door, window, ceiling, etc.), but I'm missing a few critical ones. Like how thick is a wall? How thick is it between the first and second floors? What's the standard size of each individual stair on a turning staircase with the landing in the middle? Can anyone help me out here?

Last edited by yomamafoo; 10-03-2007 at 05:11 PM.
yomamafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #2

model house question

The thickness of a wall depends on how it's constructed. Is it a brick veneer? Solid brick? 2x4 wall with vinyl siding? 2x6wall with a stucco finish? Etc..... It's your dream house, what did you dream the walls were made of?
Floor joists can be 2x6, 2x8 or 2x10, depending on design. Actual thickness can be between 7 1/4" -11 1/4" depending on your choices.
Stairs generally have 6-8" risers and an 11" tread. The rise varies depending on the finished distance between the two floors.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #3

model house question

I just spent all morning drawing the plans as much to scale as possible in excel so I could show you, only to find out I can't upload it... Anyhow, the inside walls will be just regular walls that apts are made from, and there are two walls inside. Basically picture a rectangle cut in thirds. The two outside thirds are 20x50 and the middle is 30x50. So, how long and wide will my house actually be? Also, I'm assuming the tread of a stair is the part you step on. So, if that's 11" and the height is 6-8", how wide is each one? I'm guessing about 3'?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #4

model house question

If you're speaking about interior walls, 4 1/2" with 2x4 construction. Staircase width of 36" is usual.
I can't understand the 20x50 stuff, sorry.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Weekend Builder

model house question

Interior walls = 2x4 = 3.5 inches thick plus 1 inch of drywall.

UNLESS you want thicker (soundproofing...)

Exterior walls are usually 2x6.. so 5.5 inches thick (IIRC) + 1/2 inch inside drywall, + exterior 7/16 OSB (usually around here) + Tyvek (no thickness) + siding.

I think I got it! (but all just guesses)
Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #6

model house question

Your going to need to get an architect or engineer or at least a contractor involved before you can finish your plans. The floor thickness will depend on the method of construction used which will depend on floor spans, loads and other factors that you are not familiar with. And the stair dimensions are dependant on the wall height and floor thickness and local codes.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #7

model house question

What a cool idea. I've been drawing dream house plans my whole life and never made it past legos!

You might have to "fudge" the walls a bit. Architects use foarm core for models.

You might want to check out some doll house sites. There are people who build with incredible scale accuracy and are not childish at all. The workmanship is amazing.
Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #8

model house question

Ron--see attached, it's just the dimensions of the rooms themsleves. I was trying to figure out what the actual dimensions of my house would be including the walls.
jogr--this is supposed to be a fun project, not that technical. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't way off in the final dimensions. I'm not planning on building the trusses and so forth. Thanks though.
concord--I've got about 30 dollhouse sites booked already. That's actually how I got into it. I was going to do it with cardboard, till I discovered miniatures and how easy they are to make. But, they don't really tell you dimensions to build your own house.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #9

model house question

Ok, figure about 1 foot thick between floors for regular residential. I wouldn't put in stairs less than 3' wide and 4' is really nice.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #10

model house question

Yo Mama,

Two things, first true wall depth depends on a lot of things, local codes, choices of building materials, etc. Give yourself a break on "perfect" wall dementions and estimate.

Also I found this web site, someone did what you want to do, thought it might help.

http://www.b4ubuild.com/faq/faq_0004.shtml

-Concordseeker
Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #11

model house question

My suggestion is If you want to make the model yourself to get an idea of what it really will look like, go to a model store, one that I use to go to was charrette. The have what is called foam core. it is hard covered foam the gives you thicknesses of walls. Most architects use it to show clients the basic floor plan of the house. To do this draw out the floor plan on a piece of fome core and then glue the walls on the drawing, you now have a floor plan with walls.....
jscholl411 is offline   Reply With Quote