Mobile Home I Beams For Foot Bridge - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

mobile home I beams for foot bridge

Hello All,

I want to build a foot / lawn tractor bridge over a creek on my property. the creek ravine is 25' wide and about 10 ft deep. I am in contact with the local authorities about permits etc.

I have a chance to get a 70" long mobile home I beam set with cross members. I was thinking of putting this on footings and then placing boards across to create the deck. How do I figure out what the strength rating of the I beams are and if they will support my needs.

thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by ttrojian; 10-16-2012 at 04:01 PM.
ttrojian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

Contact a local steel supplier and ask them what size you need for 25' span and how much it has to carry, = weight of the lumber, you, tractor, and whatever will be attached to it. Then compare the size they give you with the frame

Advertisement

Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I assume I am looking at a typo in your post? You might have to stretch one end of the i-beams a little bit to get 70" to span 25'?Even two together would not do the trick? Am I missing something?

Last edited by user1007; 10-16-2012 at 04:48 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I assume I am looking at a typo in your post? You might have to stretch one end of the i-beams a little bit to get 70" to span 25'?Even two together would not do the trick? Am I missing something?
Looks like you have an extra ' Or else that's why they got rid of a very short mobile home. (But maybe it was 70 feet wide.) Sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

The topic of building a footbridge over a creek comes up pretty regularly on this forum. Unfortunately there are no prescriptive standards that I am aware of for the design and construction of bridges, each one is custom designed based on the span, the load, the soil type, and the bridge geometry. Bridge design is generally more complex than building design because the loads are moving, and there are many configurations of possible loads which can be the critical load for the bridge. For this reason, it is not generally possible to go to a steel fabricator and ask them for the "right" size beam for the bridge.

An experienced engineer who has done bridge design can generally determine the maximum possible load on your bridge, and can then tell you if the specific I beams you are proposing to purchase will work. No building inspector I have ever met would stick their neck out and bless a particular I beam, all the ones I know would tell you to get a design from a professional engineer, else use a pre-engineered bridge designed for a particular load (bridges are generally rated for axle loads such as HS-20).

In addition to being structurally adequate, bridges need to be designed so they do not wash out in high water events. Determining the maximum height of a river or creek is a specialized job typically done by the engineer who designs the bridge, however your local building department may have flood maps for your area that will show hundred year flood elevations.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

A campground I stayed at tried that for a foot bridge-----it was bouncy under the load of a person---I doubt if it would be strong enough for a tractor--

Any flatbed semi-trailers available?

Advertisement