Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #1

Share |

Mixing siding types

If I have aluminum siding on 3 sides of my house, can I repair one side with vinyl siding? I like vinyl much better for a number of reasons, but don't want to do the whole house for obvious reasons. I have been told the corner pieces won't accomodate aluminium on one side, vinyl on the other, but I've gotten two quotes from people who said they would do it. Will it look odd, they are just jeeryrigging it? Is this a bad idea for any other reason? My homes are very close together, so there won't be a side view where you can see vinyl and aluminum from the same angle, and besides, I've seen some pretty close vinyl matches to my aluminum. Thanks.

Last edited by DIYCHICKK; 03-21-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling errors, additions
DIYCHICKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Mixing siding types

i can honestly agree with those contractors it will look odd
its not uncommon to mix siding types, especially in new construction on spec homes where they go with a more expensive type on the front of the house then vinyl on the sides and back to cut costs however it looks odd. to keep a house looking uniform your better off going with the same type all the way around

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
DIYCHICKK (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #3

Mixing siding types

Thanks for the response. I definetly won't be doing the entire house, and I've been told that even if I did aluminum, with the fading on the other three sides it will never be a perfect match. In fact, the contractor I trust the most said that since aluminum is so hard to get anymore, that the hundreds of choices in vinyl could be matched better than aluminum at this point. That makes sense to me. But, I was mostly worried about those telling me that the "J" joint linking the two different materials does not exist..the two materials use different joints to attach..the vinyl needing more room to slide for expansion, the aluminum not needing to expand at all and there just isn't a corner joint to accomodate this mis-matched project. Does anyone know if this is true? That is why I am worried about how the contractor will jeery rig this installation. However, he says that the other contractors are just lying to me about the corner joints to sell me a whole house siding project. He says the aluminum and vinyl are installed into the same type of corner "j". True? I have already seen enough vinyl samples to see that the match can be close enough for my type of home. There is no angle you would even see both the houses are so close together. Thanks!!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #4

Mixing siding types

what your installers says is true,except for the pocket depth the trims as basically the same,you will have to cut back the aluminum siding to fit the larger corners,but it's a good idea as in the future you may desire to reside the other sides and the corner will be there
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #5

Mixing siding types

Aluminum uses 1/2 outside corners and J moulding, and there not deep enough. Vinyl uses 5/8" If they try and forse the siding into the small trim it will not be able to expand and contract. The overlaping seam will open up, or the siding may buckle, and when it contrats the ends of the siding will show and not be held in place anymore.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #6

Mixing siding types

actually most aluminum siding has a backer behind it and uses a wide pocket in the trims
Old 03-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #7

Mixing siding types

Thanks so much. I believe they are planning to replace the moulding on either side of the wall being done (assuming I go with the vinyl). So, they would have the larger pockets needed for the vinyl. Wouldn't the aluminum slip out of the larger pockets then? Tom, you had mentioned the aluminum should be made shorter? Thanks, I just want to make sure these guys don't destroy my house...but then again...if they do, that's on them, and they are licensed, but who wants to get in to that mess. I just like to know what's going on. One contractor already created this mess incorrectly caulking all the windows on that side. Costing me $4K to rectify as it is...thanks!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #8

Mixing siding types

the aluminum corners are typically 2'' wide on each side where as the vinyl ones start at 3'' and larger,the aluminum siding would need to be cut back to accommodate them