Mixing Concrete! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Beer Advocate

Rewards Points: 150

Mixing concrete!

I have a patio area I want to extend. There is no way for a truck to get back to my yard. The only possible way would be to "pump" the concrete down there. I am looking at an area about 12 x 12. Do you guys thinks this is way to large to mix by hand? Maybe if I rent a mixer? I know its going to be a huge pain but I was hoping someone had some tips? And do you guys know how much more it is to have a truck pump the stuff?

Advertisement

Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mixing concrete!

Figure at least $300/hour for a pump in addition to materials.

Two better options:
1) wheelbarrow!
2) you can rent a power mixer and do it bag by bag (no thanks).

I'd opt for the wheelbarrow. Just call enough friends to assist...One guy spreading and two guys with wheelbarrows. "You-cart" concrete is available from a lot of batch plants. They'll put a cubic yard ready to pour in a trailer that they provide, and you tow it home.

You need about 2 cubic yards. That would be about 80 bags.

Advertisement

Last edited by Termite; 04-17-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

Mixing concrete!

Avoid mixing that amount of material yourself. It is a lot of extra work and the job and concrete will not be as good.

Even if you mix it at the slab, you will still have to wheel in the cement, sand and rock after you have picked it up or had it delivered.

Check with a local concrete supplier on the cost of pumping or conveying. Tell him how close a truck can get and how far he will have to pump (length and elevation). Pumping prices vary considerably in different area because of the market, amount of trucks with pumps and suppliers with separate pumps. Some areas have pumping contractors that service big projects and very hard to access site (over the roof with a boom).

You may also be able to rent a small pump, but if you have reasonable access, wheelbarrows and friends can do lot. You can even rent power buggies.

Your ready-mix supplier has special mixes for pumping that help out the rental pumps.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote