Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #1

Share |
Question

miter saw recommendation

i am an ambitious DIY-er who is encountering more and more projects where the use of a circular saw is downright busch league and which scream for miter cuts (e.g. 45 deg. angles on 2x4 etc.).

can you toss your 2 cents in what you would recommend as a reasonable compromise of cost and functionality. even though i do not buy tools at HD, i saw that most good ones are around $400-500.

thanks,

- a

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #2

miter saw recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
i am an ambitious DIY-er who is encountering more and more projects where the use of a circular saw is downright busch league and which scream for miter cuts (e.g. 45 deg. angles on 2x4 etc.).

can you toss your 2 cents in what you would recommend as a reasonable compromise of cost and functionality. even though i do not buy tools at HD, i saw that most good ones are around $400-500.

thanks,

- a
Hi!

I am the lucky owner of a DeWalt 718. I say lucky as a) this thing is sweet and b) when I got married the guys in the wedding party sprung for it. I think I fall into the same boat as you (ambitious DIY'er) and this thing is more then enough saw for me.

AaronBerquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Agent 000

miter saw recommendation

I've got the Dewalt 12" slider and it is the best power tool in my arsenal. It'll cut 4x4's and then some. I have noticed the Ridgid models and they look pretty sharp too but I have no track experience with those. None the less whatever you settle on, make sure you get a good stand to go with it.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #4

miter saw recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
I've got the Dewalt 12" slider and it is the best power tool in my arsenal. It'll cut 4x4's and then some. I have noticed the Ridgid models and they look pretty sharp too but I have no track experience with those. None the less whatever you settle on, make sure you get a good stand to go with it.
That's the exact saw I was talking about. I'd steer clear of the Ridgid's personally. I was eyeballing the Bosch saws as well, they seem pretty slick.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Agent 000

miter saw recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronBerquist View Post
That's the exact saw I was talking about. I'd steer clear of the Ridgid's personally. I was eyeballing the Bosch saws as well, they seem pretty slick.
Yep! Actually my original 718 was stolen in a garage break-in. I immediately replaced it with another.

What specifically don't you like about the Ridgid? I don't own Ridgid anything but from appearances sake, they look nicely designed. Minor hijack there amakarevic... hope you don't mind as it kinda contributes to the discussion.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #6

miter saw recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Yep! Actually my original 718 was stolen in a garage break-in. I immediately replaced it with another.

What specifically don't you like about the Ridgid? I don't own Ridgid anything but from appearances sake, they look nicely designed. Minor hijack there amakarevic... hope you don't mind as it kinda contributes to the discussion.
The thing I'm wary of is the "Ridgid" power tools you get at HD aren't from the same "Ridgid" who makes the nice plumbing tools. Basically, HD bought the "Ridgid" name and slaps it on a bunch of tools they have made for them.

That info might be wrong, so please don't quote me. I like that they have a lifetime warranty in some cases, but on the whole I guess I'm just biased.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
Remodeler

miter saw recommendation

A little off topic but I'm going to throw this in for clarity.
I too was under the impression about the Box stores carrying inferior tools from the large manufactures. Dewalt, Bosh, PC, etc.
I need to replace my hammer drill last week and saw a Milwaukee at a good price at HD. I wrote to the company Milwaukee and they stated they only make one line of tools no matter where they are sold. Opened my eyes to a false sense that I had. Now some tools might just be of lessor quality but it can't be said that all Box store tools are.
I bought the drill and love it.
Sorry for the hijack :-)
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
remodeling pro

miter saw recommendation

Everyone immediately jumps on the compound sliders, but if you do not need the capacity , they are a lot of money, especially for a DIYer. I use a 12" Dewalt single bevel compond for more than 90% of my daily work (yea, I know I'm living in the dinosour age, my 13 year old reminds me of this weekly because I won't buy a humongous,SUV size screen tv) , but it is extremely affordable, lightweight to handle, and does most common tasks well. I do own a MAkita 1214 slider, and it is a very smooth tool, although a bit heavy, and definately at the top of the price pyramid, it has a compact footprint, and transports well. I recently noticed one of the 12" Hitachi sliders that was pretty close to the size of the starship Enterprise; all I could think off was that you needed a trailer just for this saw.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #9

miter saw recommendation

It really depends on what you want your saw to do. Like almost everything in life their is not one saw that is best. The sliding chop saw is great for big lumber but I hate using them for finish work (love them for decks). When doing hard wood floors small is good. When doing siding big I like. Most all brands out their will do fine for a guy who uses them 10 or 20 days out of the year. When I was building dewalt was my favorite but other guys loved other brands. It is all what you get used to.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 PM   #10
remodeling pro

miter saw recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinConst View Post
A little off topic but I'm going to throw this in for clarity.
I too was under the impression about the Box stores carrying inferior tools from the large manufactures. Dewalt, Bosh, PC, etc.
I need to replace my hammer drill last week and saw a Milwaukee at a good price at HD. I wrote to the company Milwaukee and they stated they only make one line of tools no matter where they are sold. Opened my eyes to a false sense that I had. Now some tools might just be of lessor quality but it can't be said that all Box store tools are.
I bought the drill and love it.
Sorry for the hijack :-)
I do a fair share of bashing the big boxes on many of their products for being lesser quality, but it is not because a manufacturer is cheapening a tool model or any other product for them, it is because they often carry a lesser expensive line of many products to get the average price shopper. A model ABC from Milwaukee at HD is the same as a Model ABC at the local contractors supply. But often the HD Milwaukee will be a model AB, and look just like the ABC, but the only thing the price fanatic sees is the difference of $40 in price, not that he is price comparing an 8 amp tool to a 5 amp tool.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #11
I have gas!

miter saw recommendation

I've got this Makita 10" slider, it's truely an awesome tool. I got it for $449 at HD after 10% coupon. I have only owned it for 1 year so far, so it's still fairly new.
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...t&tag=LS1013FL
Old 07-26-2007, 03:06 AM   #12
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

miter saw recommendation

Compound saw recommendations are somewhat affected by the needs that you may have. Like any "power tool", there are many choices based upon the buyers intended uses. As stated, sliding compound says are a great tool, but may be more tool than you need for your household projects. Sliding compound saws cost more. The key to tools purchased by DIYers, is not buying and spending for "more" tool than you actually need.

That being said, here is what we use based on needs:

(2) 10" Dewalt compounds: Used daily for all kinds of cutting needs.
(1) 10" Dewalt: attached to a portable miter saw stand, used for finished carpentry and siding installation.
(1) portable 7" compound: Used for installing 3-1/2" width baseboard in apartment units.
(1) 10" - Old sears craftsman: Attached to a portable miter saw stand. Not used in about 5 years - stand is crap and so is the saw.
(1) 12" Sliding compound craftsman: Decent saw, used as a "back-up" for doing wide trim work & crown molding.
(1) 12" Ridgid sliding compound: BIG Stinkin heavy saw. Used when doing decks (wide cuts), exterior siding (beveled 45's), and all wide trim work & crown molding. (Pretty darn strong: Dropped last fall, from 12' off pump jack staging. Survived - only needed a new handle)

Though we don't have one..."yet", my choice for an all around dependable project saw that stands up to heavy use would be a 10" Makita Sliding compound miter saw.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-26-2007 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #13
not a total Newbie

miter saw recommendation

I would say 100% for the Makita 10inch slider with the laser! I use it on a daily basis, and when the Dewalt 12inch is set up across the room, I'll walk past it for the Makita.

My biggest complaint with Dewalts is the "fast start" literally jerks the blade up when it starts. The Makita has a nice slow (2 seconds till full speed) start that makes holding and executing precise cuts much easier.

On the other hand, the Dewalt does have positive stops at many convenient miter and bevel angles.
space_coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #14

miter saw recommendation

My old boss owned the sliding makita, Hitachi, and Dewalt 708. The Makita and Hitachi were far better in terms of accuracy. My current boss owns the dewalt 718 which I must say is the biggest POS ive ever used. The saw is poorly designed in nearly every aspect exept cutting capacity. However, It achieves its large cut buy letting the blade plunge deeper into the base which causes tear out on the back side( hard to back cut) and tear out on the fence edge as the blade begins to cut on the exit to to the deep plunge. I am honestly very dissapointed with the 718 and most other dewalt tools.
Personally, I own the Bosch 4410 for my own private use and it is becoming my favorite slider of all time. The upfront bevel control is the greatest thing to ome along in some time. I swapped out the stock blade and threw in a Tenryu and now the saw is unstoppable.

If you insist on Dewalt, look around for a used 708 because the 718 is a mistake.
Joining_Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

miter saw recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_coyote View Post
....My biggest complaint with Dewalts is the "fast start" literally jerks the blade up when it starts.....
Hmmm....true...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote