Missing Studs - Load Bearing Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
GBunny

Rewards Points: 59

Missing Studs - load bearing wall

The previous owner took 2 studs out of a load bearing wall and left it like that. I put 2 temporary ones but I know they are not a tight enough fit (but it was better than nothing).

In the meantime, I assume the house must have shifted ever so slightly as I notice a couple of doors and one window sticking and 2 other doors slowly opening on their own when partially closed.

Is there anything special that needs to be done when replacing these studs? Will replacing the studs be enough to correct the slight shift? Is there something else that needs to be done?

Advertisement

GBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 646

Could you post pics of the wall with the missing studs and where the sticking and opening doors/windows are in relation to this wall. Do you notice any cracks in the drywall/plaster over the windows or doors in question?

B

Advertisement

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,690

Hi Bunny,

I'm not a framer, so wait for a real carpenter, but............

If the missing studs had anything to do with any sagging, the damage has already been done. It'll have to be assessed and maybe jacked back up. Was this wall covered with wallboard or were the studs exposed? Is this wall in the basement?

A supporting wall should be covered with wallboard or panelling etc. for it to be considered a supporting wall. It can not be rated a supporting wall if the studs are able to move sideways when loaded.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 958

were the studs side by side?
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.
craig11152 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 582

A bearing wall usually isn't constructed differently, it's just a wall running perpendicular to the floor structure. (Sometimes a truss may be designed with a point of bearing.) To replace them you should have studs cut snug enough to require tapping in with a hammer. Snug, not too tight. The way that doors are framed, I don't see how that is related. A photo might help.
keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #6
GBunny

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/szblhsq0p...-2mkxqoca?dl=0

Here is a pic of the temporary studs that were put in. Studs were side by side and were exposed. They are in the laundry room.

I am thinking the original studs are not straight now. If that is the case, what is involved in fixing this whole problem?

The back door which is on the main floor almost right above the missing studs is slightly sticking. There are also a couple of bedroom doors about 15 feet away on main floor that slowly open on their own. They started doing that once they were replaced with new door and hinges. Have tried to play with hinges but not success.

What do you think is involved in fixing load bearing wall and how expensive would it be?

Last edited by GBunny; 08-13-2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 08-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,917

I sorta doubt that is causing you any problems. Homes often settle a bit as they age and minor door adjustments are common.

Just to be safe and sure I would remove the 2 studs you added back, run a header between the 2 studs on each side add a jack post to each and add short studs above the header to distribute any load to the header. Doing that will allow the little closet to exist. Once the header is in you could use a small jack to correct any sag caused by the missing studs.

A pair of builder's shims added to the bottom or top of a 2x4 can tighten up a slightly short stud.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
GBunny

So where is a good place to find someone who is knowledgeable in this area who will do such a small job at a reasonable price?
Old 08-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBunny View Post
So where is a good place to find someone who is knowledgeable in this area who will do such a small job at a reasonable price?
What job are you talking about? Replacing the studs?
This is something you can do. If you're hesitant, you should be able to get a local handyman or a carpenter to fix the issue.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
GBunny

Ok thank you.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,758

As to the doors that open/close on their own, pull the top pin our, lay it down on a hard surface and gove it a whack in the middle with a hammer; just enough to bend it a bit. Replace. If problem continues, do the other hinge(s) same. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,223

From the picture you posted it appears to be a stairway, if so, there's no cause for alarm. It appears someone enclosed it and had a door there for a closet space.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,223

It appears your new door is not level/plumb..?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
From the picture you posted it appears to be a stairway, if so, there's no cause for alarm. It appears someone enclosed it and had a door there for a closet space.?
It looks like Gbunny might have put the temporary studs in front of the door opening? The previous owner may have put some storage in under the stair. The photo doesn't tell me enough of the bigger picture to say what is required.

Advertisement

Last edited by keymaster; 08-14-2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added photo
keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote