Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Missing roof rafter (any reason?)

Hi guys,

In the process of adding a ceiling/collar ties to the room we're redoing (with dormers), I found that the builders of the house skipped a rafter. I went into the attic to see if there were any reason why, but I didn't find any. The only thing I can think of is, they spliced the ridge beam in that area, and perhaps they intended on putting some sort of plate or board over the the area, but never did. They put the rafter, though, (16 OC) on the other side of the ridge in the same area.

Anyway, I needed to add the collar ties up, and the rafter was a pretty easy cut (square on the bottom), so I just threw it up there. Would there be any good reason they would have left out this rafter?

I'm just wondering, since this happens to be the area where there is a ridge splice.
Joe

Joe1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nope, and you don't need a ridge board splice plate. Code allows opposite rafters to be gusseted at the ridge without a ridge board. It is not required to scab over a butt joint or break the board joint on a rafter. (Non-structural ridge). This should cause a stir.... http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...llar-ties.aspx

Always build to your local Code.

Gary

Old 09-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Okay good. Yeah, these framers did a lot of things strangely on this house, but I just wanted to ask in case there was an explanation. But I mean there were 16 OC X's on the ridge where they intended on putting the rafter....Maybe they ran out of wood.

Joe
Joe1. is offline   Reply With Quote