Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #1

Share |

Missing joist hangers?

I have a part of my 1st floor that overhangs where the stairwell goes down to the basement... this part is not resting on the concrete brick. They built a ledge out of 2x10s joined up in pairs then set them on a 4x4 post in the corner to the concrete footer below it... well the 2x4 joists nail into these though the 2 2x10's on the rim... well I just noticed that the joists that nail to this ridge have sagged about 1/4 inch... should the builder of put joist hangers around these? I have a picture attached showing one of them... there is only 3 of these joists nailed this way and all three are sagging about 1/4 an inch... can I fix this by putting hangers on here?
Attached Thumbnails
Missing joist hangers?-dsc_4945.jpg  

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Missing joist hangers?

issue may be that there is no support under the 2X10 sole plates. No hangers are needed or will help on the 2X4 studs. You do not hang a wall you support it from below.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

Missing joist hangers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
issue may be that there is no support under the 2X10 sole plates. No hangers are needed or will help on the 2X4 studs. You do not hang a wall you support it from below.

You lost me, sorry that I am confused, I don't do this normally and am just trying to figure out why they did it the way they did... isn't thesole plate usually on the floor? I thought the 4x4 was supose to be the support in the corner that held up the rim joist (i think thats what they are still called in this case?) that the joists nail into... this is basically a stair well that goes down and that is the top floor, they didn't build a wall for some reason to support the floor above... just the 4x4 in the corner... also why would hangers not help? I thought they used that in decking all the time to support joists?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Mod

Missing joist hangers?

If 3 $1.69 hangers and $.20 of nails make you feel better then throw them in. can't see enough in the pic (it's late) to know if it is manditory. If the 1/4" drop is noticable from the top side or will efect the finish on the bottom side , then jack it up, if not don't worry about it just put the hangers in. "Definitly a DIY".

Mabey bug the contractor once, if that don't work then do it your self, you'll remember him (or not) the next time.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 03-14-2010 at 08:21 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

Missing joist hangers?

Yes, the tail joists could be in hangers, that is why they are down 1/4" from the header joist, if over 12’- hangers required: page 30: http://books.google.com/books?id=iwS...joists&f=false

Be safe, Gary
BlueBSH (03-14-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #6

Missing joist hangers?

That picture is of the ceiling...so that joist is a floor joist for the floor above ?
If so & they are sagging then the floor above may sag
What's above these ?
I've always seen hangers used or floor joists land on part of a support wall
Appears the only thing holding this are nails ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (03-14-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #7

Missing joist hangers?

The span of the floor from that spot to the steel beam the other end rests on is 13 ft.

Yes, this is a picture from the basement looking up to the main floor's joists. I don't know if there is any noticable sag on the floor above.. there was a closet built above it and the stiarwell going from the 1st to the 2nd floor, so besides that there is no load on that area..

Gary, thanks for the link to the book's page on that... I'll have to read over that.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #8

Missing joist hangers?

which way is up???
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 AM   #9

Missing joist hangers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
which way is up???
I already answered that question That is looking up from the floor to the ceiling that makes up the floor above
Old 03-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #10

Missing joist hangers?

sometimes the joists are taller than the header material so they hang down giving the appearance of sag. did you put a level on any thing, is that post to the left the only thing holding that up, and how long is the header that the joist are nailed to. yes hangers are required
Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #11

Missing joist hangers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
sometimes the joists are taller than the header material so they hang down giving the appearance of sag. did you put a level on any thing, is that post to the left the only thing holding that up, and how long is the header that the joist are nailed to. yes hangers are required
Yes, I am confident there is a sag... there is also a 1/4 inch gap between the end of the board and the part that it nails onto and you can see the nails they put into it and the nails are even bent

the header is about 4 ft long and it nails into a joist that is perpendicular to it at its end... and yes in that corner that is the only post holding that part up
Old 03-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #12

Missing joist hangers?

Well after some research on framing floors and looking at how exactly mine is laid out, I definatly do need to put joist hangers on there.... I can get 2x10 hangers, but what type of nails do I want to use? 1 1/2 Joist Hanger nails? or something else in this situation?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #13

Missing joist hangers?

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...ace_ss-df1.asp

If using shorter or small gauge nails, you must take a load reduction. Use the recommended fasteners.

Be safe, Gary
BlueBSH (03-15-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #14

Missing joist hangers?

Well last night ran down to lowes, got the right size and gauge hanger and nailed them up as tight as I could get them after forcing the "sag" out of the end of the one... after doing that the floor above that use to have a slight squeek to it no longer does
Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #15

Missing joist hangers?

That's great! Glad we could help! Thank you for the feedback, 'til next time.

Be safe, Gary

Tags
hanger, joists