Mirror Removal - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Mirror removal

Well, I want to remove this old tub with a regular one. The motor is shot and it takes too much water to fill. My problem is I have kind of gotten used to the mirror look, although the bottom of the mirrors (where they meet the tub) are in bad shape. I would like to remove about 4" from the bottom of the mirror...just enough to get the tub out. Has anyone done this? How can I safely cut the mirrors? I have NO idea how they were installed either, just assuming they are glued up.

Many thanks (Hope this pic comes out ok..first time sending one lol

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Mirror removal-picture-custom-2-.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by canadaclub; 02-21-2010 at 10:51 AM.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Mirror removal

I don't think you are going to be succesfull at it, because you cannot score the mirrors all the way to the edges in those inside corners, so they will chip off and most likely crack the mirror. But if you try...THINK SAFETY. Use duct tape to criss cross the mirrors a bunch of times, so that if they break a piece cannot fall and cut you. Lay a straight edge along the tub to give you the height of the cut you desire and score the mirror with a new glass cutter, then try tapping the waste pieces to snap along the scored line. If the glass gods are on your side and it does work, you will still need to cover the bottom edge with some type of trim, as it is going to be very sharp. Problem # 2 is that those are pretty big mirrors to just hang on the wall by mastic alone.

I really suggest you call a glass company to safely remove them for you, and install new ones , keeping them above the tub so water cannot wick behind them and ruin them like happened here. Eventually even the steam from hot water will get to the bottom edges, and that shower head is certainly not going to help matters. The cost is way cheaper than tendon repair surgery and 6 months of therapy

Advertisement

Last edited by troubleseeker; 02-21-2010 at 11:19 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote