Minimalism Or Precarity: Simple Living - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,038
Question

minimalism or precarity: simple living

so i am just done dropping my basement apartment floor and all the DWV network is in place, water supply almost there but that is a non-issue.

the problem is: i will be very soon forced to stay there at least 3 days a week and, right now, there is no water facilities other than a utility sink.

my entire bathroom and all the kitchen and laundry appliance order is in a Lowes, i will be picking it up as soon as i clean up the place, 10 days from now i hope.

i figured that the bare minimum i need is a bath tub and a toilet. the walls are brick and the ceiling is bare (beams and upstairs floor). i need to work on the power network some more.

Q1: is it safe for me to build a frame for and immediately around the bath tub and install it so i can shower but not yet put the walls (cement board + tiles) ? electric cable and J. boxes are all over the bare ceiling.

Q2: if i temporarily install the toilet before i set tiles, will it be easy for me to, a few weeks or a month later, uninstall it for the final setup with tiles and the whole 9 yards ?

do not laugh at me, i am facing homelessness otherwise.

thanks,

- a -

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,266

Consider it camping in luxury. Go ahead and set the tub and hook it to your dwv. You could fill the tub with water from the utility sink using a bucket (does it have hot water? - or can you heat up water on a camp stove outdoors). Or go ahead and run water supply and valve to the tub. I'd go with baths for the short term but if you really want a shower you could rig a temporary shower curtain completely around the tub with plastic sheating. Just check to make sure it's not leaking anywhere. As far as electric around the shower - just make sure that there is nothing hot that you could contact. Tack up a piece of plywood as a temp ceiling if you can reach the wiring while standing in the tub.

Set the toilet - it won't be any problem to reset. If the toilet flange is currently set too high to allow for the tile then temporarily tack down an extra layer of subfloor or underlayment to get the floor to the correct height.

Don't tell anyone your sleeping there or make it look like you are living there (get a po box) if you don't have an occupancy permit and your area requires one. You are just working late and the bed is just so you can occasionally take a comfy break..... right.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,038

running copper pipe to the tub will be a non-issue, no buckets needed.

thanks,

- a -
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote