Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Mid Century Modern

Any of you know if Mid-century modern houses are build in the midwest? My wife and I have been looking for homes on an acreage for over 2 years.

We haven't seen both the homes and land, so we are looking into building. I would be interested in a mid-century plan. I'd also be looking to have someone do the basement/foundation and then build the shell myself with much of the interior trim to do as well. Also wondered if anyone could ballpark the cost of it...assuming it's a four corner rectangular foundation, 1 story, around 2,000 sq ft with unfinished basement.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #2

Mid Century Modern

With no responses I feel you may have asked a quesion bettered answered by a Realtor. Building cost can so vary in the different areas, but now with work so slim, you, MIGHT (might) beware, be able to, get some good workmanship for far less than you would think.

The market you are in will determine your prices. It would be hard for contributors on a message board to give you that information unless they are from the same area.

Best to You

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #3

Mid Century Modern

I know I won't get exact estimates...I just wondered how feasible it is to build a mid-century modern home in the midwest on a budget. There's a guy a few blocks away that recently built a 1000 sq ft (excluding the basement) 2 story home for roughly $110,000. I thought that seemed pretty reasonable, and I would be doing much of the work myself.

Land 100,000 and home 130,000 or so seemed like a good deal.

I guess maybe a better question is what might be potential savings of framing, windows, roof, interior trim, etc. of a house build?
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote