Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #1

Share |

Metal X Braces

I have a camp that is built 10' off the ground due to flooding from a nearby river. The camp is sitting on 6x6 metal square tube for post and has 4x4 square tube under the porch part of the camp. The post are anchored on bottom to a concrete slab that is underneath the camp. I need to put some X braces under the camp to take some wobble out of the camp, to sturdy it up. These X braces need to be out of iron of some type. I know that 2x8s doubled will meet code for a beach house but I dont know what type metal will be equal to 2x8 wood. The camp is in an area and county where no code has to be met, I just need to use a material the is sufficient. And it does need to be metal, angle iron, channel iron or square or rectangle tube. Can anyone here help?

Last edited by stucky; 05-29-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling
stucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Metal X Braces

I am a bit confused. You say you don't need to meet code, therefore you can put on anything you want. Why do you think 2x8 wood meets "code" in your area? You don't have a code. As for adding metal that is "equivalent" to a 2x8, that is actually a very difficult structural question, since the properties of metal are completely different than wood.

If all you are trying to accomplish is to reduce the sway of the camp, the simplest solution would be steel angle iron, bolted to the posts. Maybe 3x3 angle, use 1/2 inch diameter steel bolts, at least two on each side of each angle. I am not saying this will remove all the sway, and it certainly is not sized based on any code, but it should help. The longer the angles the better, in fact if you install them in an X pattern between near the bottom of each post and the top of the next post, it should work quite nicely.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Metal X Braces

I know wood 2 x 8's meets code in a different area, because a building inspector had to approve and this on the beach. They were doubled and installed in an X pattern like you were talking about doing the angle iron and the boards were bolted together where the x crosses. I do not have a code to meet in the area where my camp is. All I would like to know, if anyone can tell me, is what kind of metal would be as strong as 2 x 8's doubled and put up in an X configuration? Thanks
stucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #4

Metal X Braces

Its not a case of "what kind of metal is as strong as 2 2x8s doubled up"; there are several things to consider, not the least how you fix them to the posts - there are certain minimum distances of bolts from the end/edge of timber, for example. DH gave you as near a practical answer as possible; just use the 3x3 steel angle.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote