DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Metal versus Traditional Shingle Roof

11K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Teetorbilt 
#1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post here. Anyway, I'll start with the first of many questions I hope to get answered here. My wife and I are designing our "dream home" now and we're trying to identify the construction type and materials we'll be using, so anywho.

1. How do the costs of installing a metal roof compare to using traditional asphalt shingles?
2. How do the lifetimes of each product compare?
3. How much extra/less preparation is needed to install a metal roof (versus the shingles)
4. Having never spent any time inside a house with a metal roof, is there any aesthetic value inside the house? I.e. can you hear rain tap tap tapping on the roof?

#2 ·
Another old post, hope he's still around. :D

Cost wise, it depends if you're talking about metal panels or metal shingles? The standard 3 ribbed metal panel roofs will cost you less in materials about the same for installation. Metal shingles are higher than standard, quite a bit so, more in line with a tile or slate roof.

Lifetime of materials, metal will last 50 yrs min if properly installed, some manufacturers offer lifetime warranties I believe, but 50 yrs seems to me the industry standard. With traditional shingles, warranty ranges from 25 to 50 yr, realistically more like 20 to 35 maybe 40 yrs, alot depends on how well it's installed, sheeting used, etc.

Either way you should use a good quality sheeting material, don't go cheap here, the roof protects every other part of the house!

If you go with metal, insulate it well or you will hear the rain on the roof.

Grumpy you got any more thoughts?

#3 ·
Metal will generally cost twice as much and should last at least twice as long. Many homes built here in the '20's still have their original roofs.
Here, metal is installed over the same deck and underlay used for shingles, so there should be no difference in the prep.
When installed in the manner described, there will be little, if any, difference in sound.
If you live in an area where cooling is an issue (I'm in S. FL) and use white or mill finish, you can expect to save around 20% on cooling costs. To me, this means that the added expense will pay for itself in about 10 yrs. Less if fuel prices continue to rise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.