Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Is This a Metal Stud?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
OK to further the mystery what is above it and what is below it? It could be a I beam runing vertical to suport a load.
Neighbors above and below me. I'm on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building. This column or pillar for lack of a better term runs floor to ceiling. I will post a pic as I'm probably not describing it right.

aerodynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 0
Post

Is This a Metal Stud?


In the middle of a remodel so excuse the mess but here's a pic of the column/pillar:

i.imgur.com/7OUs2jlh.jpg

(Unable to direct post the pic)
aerodynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:34 AM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Is This a Metal Stud?


They are wooden studs. I got around to clearing out the closet and checked the backside of that column. It was spackled quite sloppy and the corner beads that are on the front corners aren't on the back. Instead the magnet picked screws up along the entire height, on the left and right edges.

To me, this would indicate with certainty the presence of wood studs. But do you seasoned vets see any chance this could be something otherwise?
aerodynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #19
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,164
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Is This a Metal Stud?


Won't a TV hanging on that column severely restrict and interfere with the opening of the bi-fold doors?
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 289
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Is This a Metal Stud?


Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
They are wooden studs. I got around to clearing out the closet and checked the backside of that column. It was spackled quite sloppy and the corner beads that are on the front corners aren't on the back. Instead the magnet picked screws up along the entire height, on the left and right edges.

To me, this would indicate with certainty the presence of wood studs. But do you seasoned vets see any chance this could be something otherwise?
Drill a hole with a spade bit from the back and look inside. It's the inside of your closet, so the presence of a hole won't matter, and you can do a crappy spackling job to match the existing finish later.

However that small piece of wall is framed, it's only 8 or 10 inches wide. What sort of wall mount do you plan on putting there? Most are designed to center on a single stud or span between two studs that are nominally 16 inches on center. Neither of those options will work for you in this case.
JKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Is This a Metal Stud?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Won't a TV hanging on that column severely restrict and interfere with the opening of the bi-fold doors?
I plan on using an articulating mount and the new doors will be bypass.
aerodynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #22
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Is This a Metal Stud?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JKeefe View Post
However that small piece of wall is framed, it's only 8 or 10 inches wide. What sort of wall mount do you plan on putting there? Most are designed to center on a single stud or span between two studs that are nominally 16 inches on center. Neither of those options will work for you in this case.
I will be using a single stud wall mount attached to 3/4" plywood that will span the studs 8" apart.

aerodynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metal box no stud?!? DANPNJ Electrical 12 11-13-2013 06:59 PM
Basement and Steel or metal stud question maxim1 Building & Construction 14 12-01-2011 09:52 PM
install ceiling fan in a suspended metal stud ceiling? amp3d Remodeling 2 09-10-2010 07:55 PM
Getting shocked by multiple metal items in room thms Electrical 14 06-24-2010 01:23 PM
Is it safe to remove this stud? lofar Remodeling 4 06-16-2009 11:22 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.