Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #1

Share |

Metal shows at outside corners

I'm taping and mudding and after 2 coats of mud, I still see the tip of the corner of my outside metal bead. I'm wondering if I'm pressing the knife too tight against the wall and corner bead.
Should I go easy on the knife during my 3rd coat or should I expect the primer and paint to cover the tip of my metal corner bead?

Please advise.

Thanks!

slinku2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

If the metal is showing, then you installed the corner bead correctly and you are also coating it properly.

The metal is supposed to show. When you paint, it will be hidden.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
If the metal is showing, then you installed the corner bead correctly and you are also coating it properly.

The metal is supposed to show. When you paint, it will be hidden.
Absolutely!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

well done
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #5

as advised above you should be good. Why? if you feel you need a third coat, fine, know that if you add more Mud at the point of your corner.. yes you can sand and get eyeball perfection. But as soon as someone bumps that corner you will be faced with repair after repair or chipped corners.
strive for 1/32 or 1/16 on each side of the apex of the corner to show metal. You will be a happy camper and know that you did it right. Be careful when to move the furniture back in..
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 AM   #6

Thank you all. I'm glad I'm dong it right. I was worried about the corners (since that's supposed to the toughest during mudding).

Are you suggesting that I won't need a 3rd coat (at least on the corners). I'm generally satisfied with the way they look but was intending on a 3rd coat just because all the books say so.

Thanks again!
slinku2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:05 PM   #7

The reason for three coats is to save time. (usually sanding time and effort)
1st coat is your bed coat (just enough mud to bed your tape, fill corners and cover nail or screwheads)
after this is dry you scrape with your mud knife all ridges and high spots.

2nd coat is to cover tape (pros use a 12" 0r 14" wide knife ...feathering edges, filling low spots) use just enough mud to get this done... go to heavy and you may have alot of sanding to do.
after this is dry ... scrape any ridges with knife and light sanding.. pole sander.

3rd coat... clean up feathered edges..fill shrinkage areas.. fill any air bubbles( tiny hole that show up when mud dries.)
after this dries... knife any ridges and sand to perfection. Sanding time should be minimal as more lighter coats have been applied.

Many production mud crews skip the 3rd coat on ceiling if it is to be textured.

You may want to prime an area or two on the mud work you feel is ok.
Imperfections in the drywall will show up once primed.

Many mud crews offer to come back and fix anything thats not right after the prime coat. Good paint crews take care of the minor stuff and keep the project going.

Today's contractor grade Flat wall paints from the paint store not the big box store are very washable after a 21 day cure on the wall. Flat paint will give the room a warm friendly feel. And help hide flaws in the drywall work. Also easy to touch up at any time even after the furniture has been moved in. Paints with a sheen.. egg shell..satin..semi-gloss may require re-paint corner to corner for best look if touch-up is needed.

Hope the above helps. Have fun with your project.

Last edited by Big Bob; 07-31-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote