DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  juryduty 
#1 ·
I have recently started installing a line of metal pergola products for my customers and was wondering if anyone had any trouble repainting wooden pergolas, and how much it costs?

One of the benefits of the metal is that the finish lasts and lasts, and it doesn't twist, crack, warp, or rot. But it would be nice to know from some folks what their experience with the longevity of your typical wooden arbor or pergola is.

I know that the aluminum pergola systems go for about $18.00 per square foot locally here in Tallahassee.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I am replacing one that was original the house built in the early 1970s. I believe it was built out of Doug Fir and was painted. It was in terrible shape (this is Northern California). The main problem was a series of 1x1's laid across the top very close to each other, and they had dryrotted badly. Also that fiberglass roofing panel material was shredded and torn to bits. The new one is redwood, but I can see the reasoning behind metal as RW/Cedar is "holy crap" expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.