Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

metal building

Greetings - I'm going to build a very small one-man house (@750 sq ft) in the woods. For several reasons, I am considering beginning with a good metal building with insulation, and then finishing the inside with the partition walls and all the rest. This is to be my residence, not a camp. Looking for economy, but not at the expense of the necessities or my comfort.

Any comments, experiences or advice appreciated. Thanks.

vapros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

metal building

The Unibomber lived in a tar papered shack for a long time. Apparently, he was comfortable there. Have you considered that construction type?

mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
General Contractor

metal building

750 sq/ft sounds like an arbitrary number...any particular reason you are thinking about a metal building? Generally speaking, if you have wall heights of 8 feet, and will finish the interior anyway, you will not save any money by going to metal construction vs. traditional stick framing. You might wish to consider wooden framing, like timber frame or similar.

Steel buildings become an economically feasable when you are enclosing a lot of space with wall heights greater then 10 feet.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote