Mechanical Room Problem - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mechanical Room Problem

I rmoved the roof from my ranch house and put a second floor on that is cantilevered 2 feet in the back. I had a architeect draw the plans and got my permits. So right now i have the second floor on windows in tyvek on and shingles on (weathertight). Now I am trying to put a 10 foot by 6 foot mechanical closet off the back to house the furnace and oil tank and water heater because the house is on a slab. Could anyone give me some suggetion on whether i can just pour a concrete pad to build this on or do i need a foundation with footings? Could i just use sona tubes and build something like a deck and then build my walls on top of that.

Thank You

Advertisement

jmontgom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Master Craftsman

Rewards Points: 250

Mechanical Room Problem

Sounds like you need to ask your building inspectors. That's the kind of information they should give you for paying for the permit. If it was me I would pour a foundation or at least go monolithic.

Dave.

Advertisement