Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Measuring for bathroom cabinets

The Mrs and I are in the process of updating our master bathroom. We removed a tall cabinet and a single vanity/cabinet and will be installing a dual vanity/cabinet in the existing space. Everything is going fine, but, I have a question regarding measuring for cabinets and counters.

The old tall cabinet is 18 inches wide, and the cabinet with counter is 59 1/2 inches wide...for a total of 77 1/2 inches width.

The exact width of the area we will be putting in a cabinet/counter is 77 1/2 inches. In looking around for cabinets/counters, the measurements for some of the standard sizes are 78 inches. Home Depot has different cabinets that can be mix-matched to equal 78 inches.

Q; Do the cabinets and counters come 1/2 inch smaller then the total listed?

I know that 2x4s arent truly 2 inches by 4 inches, but 1/2 smaller. Is it the same with cabinet/counter dimensions? If we order a standard 78 inch counter and cabinet, will they be 77 1/2..? if so..that would be perfect.

We're obviously going to be asking the different stores in the area, but, it would save us quite a bit of money if we could use their standard sizes vs having to have custom built cabinetry for just 1/2 inch....

Thanks!

Wiscbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,020

A typical 78" cabinet is going to measure... 78". If you want it to fill the opening, you should be able to custom order one, but if you do so, be sure to measure carefully, the full depth of the cabinet.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Cabinets should be the exact measurement, they won't be short normally.

Can you live with the extra 1/2"? Remember the tops overhang also.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #4

After talking with the different cabinet makers, the Mrs, etc.. we're going to go with a 75 inch setup with fillers to makeup the difference to get it up close to the 77 1/2. Its just not worth the aggravation to try to get to 78 inches, squeezing, filing down, etc, etc. That should give us enough space to comfortably install it, and use the fillers to make up the difference on the sides, or in the middle to balance it out.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

That sounds like a smart choice. The sides of the cabinet do stick out 1/4" a can be trimmed to fit, but trimming the whole 1/4" off to achieve that is not likely to work.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscbldr View Post
After talking with the different cabinet makers, the Mrs, etc.. we're going to go with a 75 inch setup with fillers to makeup the difference to get it up close to the 77 1/2. Its just not worth the aggravation to try to get to 78 inches, squeezing, filing down, etc, etc. That should give us enough space to comfortably install it, and use the fillers to make up the difference on the sides, or in the middle to balance it out.
You're on the right track with the base cabinets.
What about the countertop?
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

If your on a budget....HD is fine....but for a few more $$ you can have custom cabinets built that are a whole lot better.

As for counter top.....we put granit in our bathroom....I wouldn't go any other way. So much easier to keep clean.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #8

We're on a budget (arent we all), so we don't really want to go with custom cabinetry for a 1/2 inch difference.

Our cabinets are likely going to be Schrock, which isn't anything special, or maybe Bertch, as its just going into the master bath. We're looking at an alignment of: (left to right, although it doesnt really matter as its symmetrical) 12 inch 3 drawer cabinet, then 24 inch double drawer, then the filler of 6 inches (likely cut down to fit snug), then another 24 inch double drawer and 12 inch 3 drawer. We like the look of the symmetry design and it should give us enough counter space.

As for counter tops, thats where we are now, figuring out what to get. We've had marble in the past and know that any, any stone can stain, even granite. We're leaning towards Corain, Silestone, CeasarStone, but may reconsider Marble or Quartz. Granites a bit pricey, and we know it can still scratch and stain. We're after functionality and ease of use, cleaning vs trying to impress anyone, but we do want something of higher quality then laminate.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Don't just put a filler between cabinets. You will likely need a filler up against at least one wall to allow room for the doors and drawers to open correctly without hitting walls, door trim, and/or baseboards.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #10

I think it depends on the type of cabinet drawers. Our last cabinet was flush to a wall and didnt have a spacer and there werent any problems. We've seen some cabinets were the facing is flush with the end of the cabinet, and on those types, yes, we would need a filler on the end to prevent rubbing, issues. But with the drawer types that are smaller then the framing, there shouldnt be a need for fillers on the sides. But we are verifying it all with the cabinet place BEFORE we order anything.

On a related question, will the cabinet people leave enough clearance for the sink, or is it just autmatically assumed the sink will sit where the largest double drawers are, in our Ex: we have two 24s, so thats were it will go, or, will they trim back the deptht to allow the sinks to centered as we want them?

Related as well, will Corian, Silestone, etc, put the sink placement where we want them, or are they customed to the particular cabinet?

Man, I hate the design part of this project.. Im a construction person, I just like the drywall, electrical, plumbing, installation aspect. Im not used to the design end of my own house...heh..