Max Weight Load For Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Max weight load for ceiling

I have a ~45-50 yr old home, and would like to add multiple layers of drywall to a basement ceiling. The room is approx. 12x20
and I'd like to put 4 layers of 5/8" drywall (part of sound containment) - of course the screws connecting to the joists would be approx. 16" apart.
Can the ceiling hold the weight without problem? (for obvious reasons please only answer if you're sure)

Advertisement

cgott42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
Retired carpenter

Rewards Points: 250

While we wait for our diviners to arrive:

From the way sound waves travel (and stop travelling) you should get the same sound insulation out of 1-1/2" rigid foam plus 1/2" drywall.

By the time you get to screwing the fourth layer of drywall (with 3" screws), you'll have a hard time finding room in the joists to screw into.

Advertisement

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #3

I've checked that
Given that, what's the max amount of drywall,weight load I can evenly distribute without fear
Old 01-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 81

I dont know where you live but if you have a Lowes near you they sell sound reducing drywall. Its called queitrock. You will probably only need one layer of it.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

Standard weight drywall is approximately 2 pounds per square foot for a 5/8 inch thick sheet. Four sheets would be 8 psf. Without exact details of the construction of your basement ceiling, including measured size of joists, spacing, type of lumber, type of connections,other loads on the basement, allowable deflection, it is impossible for anyone on this forum, or anywhere else, to tell you the maximum additional load you can put on your ceiling. And, for obvious reasons, anyone that is certain about the answer without such knowledge is a fool, and you already stated you don't want advice from a fool.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Standard weight drywall is approximately 2 pounds per square foot for a 5/8 inch thick sheet. Four sheets would be 8 psf. Without exact details of the construction of your basement ceiling, including measured size of joists, spacing, type of lumber, type of connections,other loads on the basement, allowable deflection, it is impossible for anyone on this forum, or anywhere else, to tell you the maximum additional load you can put on your ceiling. And, for obvious reasons, anyone that is certain about the answer without such knowledge is a fool, and you already stated you don't want advice from a fool.

thanks I appreciate that honesty.
WHat I know is
joists are 16" apart.
House is approx. 50 years old
room size is 10x20'
Other than a finsihed ceiling throughout almost all of the basement, there's no other load on the ceiling

those are the answers that I know, does it narrow it down enough that even with the remaining variables it's ok, or is this amount borderline and something to hold off on.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Just a DIY guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42

WHat I know is
joists are 16" apart.
room size is 10x20'
Other than a finsihed ceiling throughout almost all of the basement, there's no other load on the ceiling

those are the answers that I know, does it narrow it down enough that even with the remaining variables it's ok, or is this amount borderline and something to hold off on.
What size are the joists (2x4, 2x6, etc.). Do you have engineered trusses, or "stick built" framing?
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
Retired carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
WHat I know is
joists are 16" apart.
room size is 10x20'

I'm curious to know why you think that you need so much drywall.

I don't think you'll get a clear, trustworthy answer here. Other than the size of the joists, you need to know their span and, most unknown and important of all, how much weight they are already supporting from the floor above (most probably your ceiling joists are also the floor joists of the room above, if we are talking about a regular basement).
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #9

Thanks, see that I'll need a pro to look at it b4 I do anything.
thx
Old 01-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Have you done tests, first, to see if multiple layers of drywall will indeed be ideal (considering time, cost and effort) to hamper sound?

I'd consider applying light-weight wall foams and such products that are designed for sound absorption from the get-go. . . and while you're on that product-purchasing path you'll find some good articles and info that explain the ups and downs of sound-proofing and why some methods don't work and some do.

Advertisement