Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #1

Share |

Materials Estimating/Lumber Takeoffs

I am in the final planning stages for an addition on my home. I will contract out the foundation, but hope to do the rest of the work myself. I have done some rough materials estimates, enough to get a feel for the costs, but now that we're heading into the final stretch, I'd like to put together as accurate a budget as a I can and equally as important put together a take-off list for the lumber yard and a shopping list for me.

The addition is small enough that I don't much mind going over the plans with a ruler and a pencil, but I am more interested in how some of you have organized yourselves. Would anyone be willing to share a spreadsheet you've created and found helpful?

Basically, I am looking to create something that accurately captures the materials for the job, allows me to provide the lumber yard with a good materials list, gives me a decent enough picture of the costs, etc. I don't really think I need a special software program or anything, but I am afraid my current methods will find me leaving stuff out.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Help?

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #2

Take the plans to a local lumber yard and let them do the calculations. Any yard should be able to get you an accurate cost.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Willie T (03-24-2010)
Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

I agree, the easiest thing to do is to take the plans to the yard, let them do the takeoff, and bid to supply the material. Since you are in
DC, I assume you are going to need a building permit, and if the plans are good enough to get a permit, they certainly should be good enough for a yard to do a takeoff.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #4

Yep, we'll definitely be getting permits, the job is way too big to even consider otherwise. And yes, our plans are in great shape, we hired an architect to design the whole thing. I managed to convince my wife to let me build it, but definitely not design it, although not for a lack of trying! She says I am better at following directions than giving them.

I would never have guessed that a lumber yard would do the take-offs. It seems like a lot of work... for them, or for me. Do they use computer software to do it, usually, or just by hand? How accurate is it? Is it just for the lumber, or do they also include joist hangers, sheathing, subfloor, drywall, etc?

Do they usually do this for homeowners? The addition is only 150 sq. ft. What should I say/ask to make it sound like I know what I am talking about?

Thanks guys!
stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #5

The Architect can probably supply you with a material list. Just take the lists to various yards to get estimates.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #6

if you can find lumber yard take off(rare) make sure you get a cut sheet so you use material as they figured. real easy to come up short by cutting wrong lengths. figure it your self its pretty basic, get a take off ruler thats layed out in 16 and 2' centers and mark up one set of plans and use them as your site copy
Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Mod

The lumber yard will do it, just hand them the plans and ask the to bid the materials. If they won’t then they don‘t want your business. Hand them to the boss if you can then he can deligate, there are a lot of lazy sales reps out there.

kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote