Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Matching Room Add Foundation with Main House

What is the best way to match or alter a concrete room addition slab that is 6 inches lower than the main house slab, so that both areas will have the same base floor height (resulting in a seamless floor transition)?

rweklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Concrete option: Form, lay down 2" of stone if desired, and fill with concrete to match.

Wood Option: lay down isolation strips (plastic or sill seal) under p.t. wood joists at 16" o.c. (2x6 at 5-1/2" and 3/4" plywood will make 6-1/4" total). Floor will be 1/4" proud with this setup, but that's no different than the transition of alot of floor finishes

Alternative Option: 2" of rigid foam, 3-1/2" 2x4 joists laid right on insulation at 16" o.c., 3/4" plwyood subfloor sheathing. Floor will be 1/4" proud with this setup, but that's no different than the transition of alot of floor finishes

Last edited by AGWhitehouse; 07-26-2011 at 11:31 AM.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AGWhitehouse For This Useful Post:
rweklund (07-26-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweklund View Post
What is the best way to match or alter a concrete room addition slab that is 6 inches lower than the main house slab, so that both areas will have the same base floor height (resulting in a seamless floor transition)?
Just did this exact thing on my house.

Built up new slab to meet the existing house's floor level minus 3/4" to extend existing hardwood flooring.

We went with the concrete option but the other options mentioned by AG I also considered and would work as well.
Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for your post. Its nice to know it can be done that way. BTW, did you use any stone/gravel for your base or did you go with 100% premixed concrete? Secondly, did you have to deal with any exterior doorways? I guess you could just make the doors smaller or raise them up via re-framing........
rweklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweklund View Post
Thank you for your post. Its nice to know it can be done that way. BTW, did you use any stone/gravel for your base or did you go with 100% premixed concrete? Secondly, did you have to deal with any exterior doorways? I guess you could just make the doors smaller or raise them up via re-framing........
Well I was supposed to have had a gravel base, that is what I requested but my contractor was a lazy sloppy worker and never put in the gravel - now it's too late obviously. But yes, I would do the gravel base if I were you.

And YES, have an exterior doorway as well. But the exterior doorway will be gone once it's framed in so it won't be an issue for us. I would think one could just raise the door as long as it's not a huge difference.
Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, foundation, slab