Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Masonry Issues

Hello Folk,

I have two masonry related question. One is about a basement small window concrete base/surrounding that seem have been worn out in function of erosion possibly caused by water falling from the above gutter system. That level of erosion seems to allow water to come inside my basement walls. As shown in the following pic:

Another issue is related to small cracks and failures on my external brick walls, as shown in the following pic:

Could anyone recommend how to approach repairing the basement window concrete surrounding. And how much of a problem are the small cracks and failures on my external brick walls?

Thanks,
tk

tk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Masonry Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk3000 View Post
Hello Folk,

I have two masonry related question. One is about a basement small window concrete base/surrounding that seem have been worn out in function of erosion possibly caused by water falling from the above gutter system. That level of erosion seems to allow water to come inside my basement walls. As shown in the following pic:

Another issue is related to small cracks and failures on my external brick walls, as shown in the following pic:

Could anyone recommend how to approach repairing the basement window concrete surrounding. And how much of a problem are the small cracks and failures on my external brick walls?

Thanks,
tk
Are the gutters too small or clogged. Water doesn't overflow the gutters unless there's a reason. Find out what it is and fix it.
The missing mortar should be replaced. Grind out the cracked areas at least 3/4-1" deep and repoint.
How old is the house?

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 83

Masonry Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Are the gutters too small or clogged. Water doesn't overflow the gutters unless there's a reason. Find out what it is and fix it.
The missing mortar should be replaced. Grind out the cracked areas at least 3/4-1" deep and repoint.
How old is the house?

Thanks for your response, Ron. It is condominium, each building has 3 units (mine is of them). There are indications that in the past the gutter system was falling right above my basement window since there is a stain on the walls created by the falling water. Apparently the gutter system has been fixed (I was told that by the association). But apparently the falling water damaged the lower basement windows concrete surroundings, but that is just a guess. It was built in 1972. I will look into fixing the the missing mortar.

tk
tk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Masonry Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk3000 View Post
Thanks for your response, Ron. It is condominium, each building has 3 units (mine is of them). There are indications that in the past the gutter system was falling right above my basement window since there is a stain on the walls created by the falling water. Apparently the gutter system has been fixed (I was told that by the association). But apparently the falling water damaged the lower basement windows concrete surroundings, but that is just a guess. It was built in 1972. I will look into fixing the the missing mortar.

tk
For water to wear away concrete, it would take a torrent or a long time or both. To see if the gutters are indeed fixed, go outside when it rains and look at them. If they're overflowing, call someone.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote