DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Masonite Siding Sheets or Boards

5K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  hand drive 
#1 ·
Tried Googling for an answer but found done.

Our 1992 built brick home has areas covered in Masonite siding. Due to a massive honey bee infestation some of the siding must be taken off. Is 1992 era Masonite siding panels or individual boards? I cannot find any joints. Guess this can be attributed to a very good installation. If the removed siding cannot be reused I assume I have a big problem since I think this product is no longer available. Is there a special way to remove the siding?

Our 20 year old Masonite siding still looks great and has been trouble free. That is before the bees came to stay.

#3 ·
if working with/repairing masonite I go back with hardy siding. the profiles can be matched and the hardy lasts longer though it sounds like your masonite is well protected from the elements, you can still buy masonite at building supply places. what size is your siding and is there a bead at the bottom edge or is the siding smooth?

to get the old siding off, drive a utility bar under the lap of the siding right below the nail and pry the lapped piece outward a little bit. pull then utility bar out and tap the piece of siding back in with your hammer, this should leave the nail sticking proud a tiny bit and you then pull the nail out with your hammer. repeat at every nail. start at the top of the wall where you are replacing and work downwards, after you have one upper piece out of the way it allows you to pull the rest easily. if the nails hold fast while you pry on them consider a nail punch and punch the nails through- be mindful of wiring and plumbing in wall while nail punching the nails.

#6 · (Edited)
Beekeeper believes infestation to be extensive. The hive is hopefully limited to one inset area. Beekeeper and his assistant will take off the Masonite as carefully as possible. They will remove the queen, bees, hive and all other bee related stuff then clean. They will weather seal the area with poly sheeting untill contractor can re-install the Masonite and new trim or new siding. Hopefully can upload photos today. May need help finding a matching or similar horizontal siding.

#9 ·
Our 1992 era Masonite or the like siding is above the rear of house garage and three quarters of the north side. All siding is on the second floor with brick covering all other areas. While the rear of the house is clearly visible to passersby the northside is not. After a cursory measurement from ground level the lap siding is compromised of double section of 6"> wood grained Dutch lap. I hope the original siding can be re-installed but I am on the hunt for new brands of similar styles.

#10 · (Edited)
I recently replaced some masonite double lap 6" siding around the bottom perimeter of a house where the siding had swollen some. I replaced it with wood grain masonite ripped to 7" to get the 6" reveal once installed. once installed and painted it was hard to tell the difference between the two except the masonite had a softer bottom face edge where the hardie has a sharper edge. I was really concerned because the homeowners were really picky and spent a lot of time searching around for the double lap masonite only to not be able to find it but I made them really happy with the repairs :). the hardest part was ripping the sding down to 7", the original 8 1/4" size of the hardie siding was to much for the lap to work at 6" and was causing a pivot point at the lap.

another part that I remember is where the new hardie siding transitioned back into the masonite. the masonite had a 3/8" groove cut in the underside of it for the lap to work so the top of the top piece of hardie tucked under 3/8" to finish it out.

I think this type of masonite siding is termed as double bevel siding

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.