Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Share |

Masonite patio door

I have a Masonite brand patio door in a 3-year-old house in which the mull post is rotting at the bottom. I called the building supply company and was told that the warranty is only for one year, that I am two years past the warranty period, and there is nothing they can do. I then called Masonite and Angie H. told me that even if I had purchased the better door with a longer warranty, the door jambs and mull post have only a one-year warranty, and only the DOORS have the longer warranty -- this is a bunch of crap. I was also told that there is now a new door jamb and mull post made with a composit material for the first 4 to 6 inches to prevent wicking. Hmmm . . . do you think maybe they realized there was a problem with their substandard product? Angie then told me that there could be a cheaper fix and that was to have someone cut off the rotting wood, splice in a new piece of wood and refinish the defective area. The "warranty" and warranty department of Masonite is useless. Save yourself the trouble and expense and STAY AWAY FROM MASONITE BRAND PRODUCTS.

Last edited by DERVID_W; 04-07-2011 at 03:29 PM.
DERVID_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #2

Masonite patio door

masonite swells and rots when exposed to the elements. Why would you use it on ANY exterior application? 1 year warranty is good for nothing, who wants to replace things on their house every few years. Thanks for the heads up tho.

craig4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Masonite patio door

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig4 View Post
masonite swells and rots when exposed to the elements. Why would you use it on ANY exterior application? 1 year warranty is good for nothing, who wants to replace things on their house every few years. Thanks for the heads up tho.
Masonite is the name brand of the door not the material it is made of. The mull post and jambs the poster speaks of are pine.

I have repaired this type damage by cutting out 6-8 " of the wood and splicing in composite. Any full service lumber yard can order a piece of exterior jam stock (about $35 for 8' length). You might have to nill a mull post on your own.