Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #1

Share |

Masonary Foundation: Possible?

Hi Everyone, Newbie here.

I plan to build a small house (16x20 or there abouts) and dream of doing it mostly from material on my property. I plan to dig a basement and would love to be able to use the excavated rocks (there will be a lot of them) to build a stone foundation for the house.

I realize there may be code issues but am curious if anyone has done this or knows of a "how to" guide. I plan to cover the outside (below grade) with a waterproof coating (need advise about that as well) and put perforated pvc (I'll have to buy a few things I guess:_)) at the base.

Is this silly or achievable?

Thanks

ballen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

It sounds like a very difficult and costly venture if you want to use only local materials. - It would be faster, better and cheaper to buy the necessary materials and save the rocks/boulders for landscaping. - A very noble thought though!

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Wow, I met a guy that was doing that a few years ago. Building the house using trees and rocks from his property. He had to bring in the fasteners, of course, to build it to code. I ran into him at an ASME seminar in Columbus, Ohio, 3 weeks after 9/11 (I remember the time period because I had to drive to Columbus - wife wouldn't let me fly). I might still have his contact info at work, tucked away in a box. If I have time I'll check.

But he said he did it. He said the first thing he put on the property was an old camper to live in. Second thing was a small saw mill to cut his wood up.

In this day and age, there has to be some sort of club or organization that caters to this.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,...

That's how it as done 100 years ago or so....
And I'm sure it's still happening...

Try
Googling log cabin,... Mother earth news,... Stone foundation,..

What's the Climate where this is going to happen,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #5

Responding from my blackberry so not sure how this will work......

The property is in the NE corner of PA so lots of rain and cold sometimes. The site has a georgeous view of a pristine glacial lake. I hope to do most of the work myself which iis why I joined this forum. I am an EE so I am not afraid of details. I'm also about as "thrifty" as they come.. I also want to disturb as little of my forest as possible so I won't have much need for the rocks for landscaping since there won't be any. Just a cabin in the woods near a lake.
ballen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Building and plumbing

I know of a man here who built a log cabin using river rock for the foundation. Took forever, but I tell you this, it was well worth the wait and effort!

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote