Making A Pergola - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
Jack of all Trades

Rewards Points: 10

Making a Pergola

First time here....Thought I'd give this a shot..

I have an entry way into a garden with a staircase (about 8 steps), I have installed the 3"x3" timber into galvanized posts and set those into concrete using 1/2" Hilti anchors. I have the inside posts (towards the garden/top of stairs) with an 83" height on the left and right sides. On the opposite side (base of stairs) I have the posts at a 59" height left and right. In between the two different posts I will be attaching lattice for cosmetic purposes. Essentially a slanted pergola.

I have two arches I am setting on top of each of the two posts (one on front, one on rear).

My question is should I install 2x4 runners connecting the two different posts and then install the arch on top of the 2x4's? Should I just run a jigsaw into the posts and partially set the arch into the post? I plan on putting at least five 2x4 runners connecting the two arches to make it more sturdy with a miter cut on each end. Should I also install a truss in each corner to take some weight or add some cosmetic points? There is no roof on this and there wont be any weight on the pergola, however I do live in a pretty windy area. I am however using this as the base for my fence construction. I will have about 45 feet of lattice connecting into 2x2 posts every 6'...Pictures to follow

Advertisement

Pyper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Making a Pergola

Northern Lights Timber Framing graciously extends permission to learn from their copyrighted joinery examples. They are a premier company and are actively engaged in the expansion of the Timber Framing Industry through education.

Here are some of the joints they use. You might be able to incorporate something like these into your arches.

Who knows, you might just want to become another Timber Framer, and help the industry spread in the Mediterranean.
Attached Thumbnails
Making a Pergola-timber-framing-1-.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Willie T; 06-10-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote