Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #1

Share |

Making a new laminate countertop?

Hi All,

I want to make a 12"x70" countertop for my bar area. I want the corners to be a nice smooth curve. What is the best way to cut this out of the particle board so I will be nice and smooth for my laminate edge to sit nice and tight? Like this one.....

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/graph...128_count5.jpg

Last edited by sandyman720; 02-14-2008 at 09:42 PM.
sandyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #2

First of all, I would lose the particle board and make it out of exterior plywood. Screw and glue two 3/4" sheets together. Carefully cut out a template of the curve you wantfrom a scrap piece of 1/4" ply or masonite. Trace the curve on the bar deck. Jigsaw out the wood leaving an 1/8" or so past the line. Screw the template to the bar slab, exactly on the lines you traced. Take a router with a bearing and run the bit around the corner, keeping the guide bearing tight to the template. Go through the plywood in multiple passes, 1/4"-3/8" at a time until you're through the slab. Lightly hand sand the edge.
Keep the corner radius large enough that you can turn the corner without snapping the laminate.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Generally, bullnose or curved designs are ordered from the manufacturer as counter top segments (factory attached to particle board, using a heat-forming process - to curve the laminate over the paticle board edge).
These completed sections are then cut down and fabicated, at a "shop" (yours, or a mill shop), to the counter arrangement desired.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-15-2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
Remodeler

Making the curve should not be a problem. If you don't have a router to do it as Ron mentioned just cut the radius and sand to the line. Be sure to keep the edge square to the top. You can heat the laminate with a hair drier where it will go around the radius. From your example picture the radius is fairly large. I don't see a problem bending the lam around it. I've done much smaller radius without a problem.
The router method is the best as it will keep the edge square to the top. If you sand by belt sander / other method be sure to check progress with a square.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote