Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Making a mini door on a rough block opening

I have an opening in a block wall that is semi square but very rough. What is the best way to go about making a door frame around that? I'm thinking some 2x8's for the inside, and just cut them so they are very tightly fitted, and add shimming to make it fit tightly, then some 2x4 around just to "finish" it and also to tapcon it to the block. Is there a better way I'm not thinking of?

Oh and that pipe is just for the central vac. If it gets in the way (which it probably will) I'll just cut it. I'm guessing it was done that way just to dampen the noise, and to add a bit of heat in there while the vac is being used.
Attached Thumbnails
Making a mini door on a rough block opening-dsc03666.jpg  

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Red, If the 'door' is to be used very infrequently then could just cover the opening with a sheet of plywood secured in place with a couple of blue Tapcons.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #3

If you want to put a frame in there, you'll need to clean up the opening. A grinder and a chisel will do the job. If you want the frame to span the entire block wall you'll need to rip down a 2x10. If not, a 2x8 set to the camera side will do fine.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

I have a chisel already, I'll look into a grinder and clean it up a bit then go from there. And yeah 2x10 might be better. I did not actually measure yet but more I think about it, 2x6 would probably not be wide enough. I'll probably caulk around the frame and try to make it look half decent. The door itself will probably have a screen. The idea is to keep bugs out but still remain some air circulation. Though now that I got it spray foamed bugs probably won't really be a problem anymore.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote