Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

making a manhole

hi, i have a cellar in my flat, and at the end is a slab covering a hole in the floor. I lifted the slab and found a hole going about 6 feet down to what i believe to be a drain or sewer pipe. As you can imagine, i would like to get this sorted, to prevent smell and damp. I have absolutely no idea how to do this, is a manhole something i can fit myself? do i ask a plumber or a builder? do i need planning permission ( i live in london, uk)...any comments, tips, help or advice would be very very helpful....

fosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Contractor

making a manhole

I will guess that what you are seeing is a storm drain, a septic sewer would have driven you out of there long ago. It may also be ancient and unused.

Does the slab bother you? If not caulk the seams and cover the entire thing with a 2-part epoxy (preferably a 1 to 1), it's more flexible. Extend the application at least 6" beyond the lid perimeter and use 2 coats.

If the system is still active, workers will still have access even if it may be a little more difficult.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:44 AM   #3

making a manhole

thanks for that. It's definately active, and i think you're probably right that it's a storm drain. The slab is very very old and snapped off at the corner, and the surrounding floor is victorian cobbles. I think a manhole would be best, from a neatness point of view...any tips on fitting one?
fosta is offline   Reply With Quote