Making A Load Bearing Wall A Half Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Making a load bearing wall a half wall

We are remodeling our kitchen and want to do a small 1/2 wall on both sides of the doorway leading into our dining room. I know that standard cabinets are 34 1/2" then the counter top. But I thought that the wall should continue up past the counter top for a small ways then be topped off with some nice wood & a post next to each walkway for support. How tall should the top of the wall be ? Thanks!

Kitchen layout:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s.../kitchen-8.jpg

Halfwall layout:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...5/halfwall.jpg

Advertisement

vjbozard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,052

You can go what ever you want . Put some blue tape across the wall over the existing cabinets to get a visual idea, 40"-44". Keep in mind electrical outlets required every 4' on counter tops. The elec. box nails vertically or horizontally, but figure 2 top plates and a 4"box plus 1-1/2" over finished counter top. Or 2-1/4, plus 1-1/2" (box on side). Is your dishwasher to the right of the sink, in that 24" space? Think about when it's open, no passage at that time., if that's an opening. Also, where are the glasses going, uppers on other side of sink? Pot-filler at stove because sink is so far away? Be safe, GBAR

Advertisement

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

If I have a 123" wall, how many outlets do I need & what would the spacing be?
vjbozard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,142

vj -

The code is a minimum and probably will not be enough for the real world now or in the future. Don't short yourself when you have everything apart and are putting it back together.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #5

There is a lot to electrical. There is a special rule for: 2-20amp.small-appl.ckt req.; outlets within certain distance of sink; rules for refer; dishwasher; disposal; counters12" and over; spacing so no point over 24" cord reaches; GFCI required; special island requirments; and other special circumstances. Ask on our electrical forum.So it depends on what's in the countertop. Be safe, GBAR
Old 04-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #6

Here are two sites that cover the basics:

http://www.electrical.state.ne.us/homeowner.pdf

http://www.lowesforpros.com/a-well-wired-kitchen

Be safe, GBAR
Old 04-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would suggest that the dish washer would be moved over between the sink and the refrigerator! Having its door open in a passage way is not a good idea!
Rather than open up the wall, I would put in a pass-through.
Kitchens are noisy, and its nice to be able to close them off.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbozard View Post
We are remodeling our kitchen and want to do a small 1/2 wall on both sides of the doorway leading into our dining room. I know that standard cabinets are 34 1/2" then the counter top. But I thought that the wall should continue up past the counter top for a small ways then be topped off with some nice wood & a post next to each walkway for support. How tall should the top of the wall be ? Thanks!

Kitchen layout:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s.../kitchen-8.jpg

Halfwall layout:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...5/halfwall.jpg
There's no mention of the two headers you have to put in on each side of the existing door header. You can use the existing king stud as the king stud for the two headers and put a jack stud underneath the new header on each side of the existing door header and the other sides you will have to put a king and jack stud.
Attached Thumbnails
Making a load bearing wall a half wall-halfwall.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Carola; 04-12-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

I suggest you put a 24" wide floor to ceiling pantry somewhere in there. Instead of a 36" caddy-corner or neo-angle base cabinet, use a 36" x 36" lazy-susan they hold a helluva lot of pots and pans and everything is accessible. For receptacles do what I did to every outlet in the house (practically.) I turned them all into this...
Attached Thumbnails
Making a load bearing wall a half wall-quad1.jpg   Making a load bearing wall a half wall-br3-quad.jpg  
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #10

Ever get any static on the phone when the cat5 is within 6" of recepts? Be safe, GBAR

Advertisement