Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Share |

Making Holes in Concrete

I am about to put a wood deck over my backyard patio. It isn't feasible to remove the old concrete. What kind of tool and method should I use to put holes in the concrete to mount to supports for the wooden deck?

LeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #2

Making Holes in Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHeretic View Post
I am about to put a wood deck over my backyard patio. It isn't feasible to remove the old concrete. What kind of tool and method should I use to put holes in the concrete to mount to supports for the wooden deck?
Generally a patio slab isn't adequate support for a deck. You would need to open the slab and pour footings below the frost line. If your area requires permits, the inspector will want to see holes dug that deep before you pour the footings.
Post your location.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

Making Holes in Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Generally a patio slab isn't adequate support for a deck. You would need to open the slab and pour footings below the frost line. If your area requires permits, the inspector will want to see holes dug that deep before you pour the footings.
Post your location.
I live in Kitsap County, WA. Thanks for the support.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #4

Making Holes in Concrete

did this on our 2nd home in upstate ny where frostline was typically 3'6",,, the deck was only 8" high over the existing conc patio,,, could have removed the conc but didn't feel like it,,, gravity kept the new wood deck in place, the frost didn't heave it, the bldg inspector had no complaints since it wasn't attached to the house NOR on conc supports,,, assessors didn't raise the property's assessed valuation, either, therefore no increase in taxes
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #5

Making Holes in Concrete

Now I am thinking about doing a floating foundation deck system from deckplans.com. What do you think about that idea? It seems pretty easy and quite a bit cheaper.

Tags
concrete, drill, hole, holes